[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - Dan's Red Flyer II

Dan's Red Flyer II

Post and describe member vehicles and their mods.

Re: Dan's Red Flyer II

Postby TxPlates » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:27 pm

You'd be able to smell the paint fumes....
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby TexasArmadillo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Damn I guess I'm in Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby TxPlates » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:11 am

Picking up parts for my Audi?
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby TexasArmadillo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Nope, I'm looking for Indiana Jones' dad.

TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby TxPlates » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Good luck on that adventure. Hope your passport is up to date.
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby TexasArmadillo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 pm

I just got me name off the terror list so I am good to go.

TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby MrQ » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:08 pm

CB radio and antenna installed and working properly. Even if I don't have a job I still hold out hope for getting to Moab. Now I need to find decent mounting points for the tow hooks I pulled off the ram. Unfortunate for the front it would require me to hack the fiber glass bumper and I am not going to do that. Red still needs to look good on the trail. :D And in the rear I have a rivet in the way for mounting to the frame. :-x I guess I would have to A) cut out the rivet and use it as a bolt hole for the tow hook (Blegh I hate cutting rivets) or B) find a cheap trailer hitch I can mount. Problem with A) is that even if I got the hook mounted, where it sits would put a lot of stress on the bumper because the strap would have to go under it to hook up. Problem with B) is a lower departure angle and finding the money, but it does provide some protection for the bumper and a solid mounting point.

I still would like to get a hold of a set of add' a springs for the leaves in the rear so I can max out the torsion bars in the front for maximum clearance. Another want is a set of rock sliders, but that would be pretty low on the list of basics to get to Moab.
-Dan

1998 Ford Explorer 4WD "Red Flyer II"
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD "Tanner"
MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:18 pm

So what are you planning to use for the front tow hooks (which I believe are an EF requirement for the run)?
Also, I'm not sure how you plan to use the rear receiver as a tow point, but trailer hitch pins are NOT strength/weight/pull rated, as they are not intended to carry a load.
Yes, I know you see people use it this way all the time, particularly with receiver/shackles, but I still would not recommend using it in that manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby MrQ » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:54 pm

They are a requirement. Shit, I must have glossed over that part. I guess I'll figure something out. Hacking up this bumper is not an overly big deal as I would like to use it as a guide for the modifications on the new bumper Kris plans on painting for me (whenever I finally get the money :roll ).

Thanks for the heads up on using the hitch for a mounting point :thumbup . Maybe I could use its frame, if I can get Russell to ply his skills at welding to get some d-ring holders on there. I still have a few months for mods so I am not overly worried as Red is already 80% ready to go.
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:57 pm

That seems to be closer than anyone else's. :lol

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby MrQ » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:11 pm

I think the big priorities are that

-It runs (black or white smoke doesn't matter)
-It drives (doesn't matter in what gear)
-It won't shake itself to pieces on the highway (At least 50mph without having something fall off)
-It has a maximum of three leaks (oil leak is not counted)
-It can actually pass inspection (30 days to fix complies)

Optional - Safe arrival.

Beyond that I think anybody would be at 80%. :P
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby Justin Klare » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:57 pm

I'm at 100%.
Justin Klare
Fresh out of Flair Klare

Postby TxPlates » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:36 pm

I'm at 101%.
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby MrQ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Well I made the 100% list today as Red passed her inspection with only one hiccup. They were leery of letting me pass without high beams, (As you know I traded out the Halogens for some 55w 6000k HIDs and didn't get the optional hi/lo beam set.) but they passed me anyway and the Ex is sticker-ed and legal for the first time in 5 months. :D

I have a trip tomorrow to Surfside for a 3 day fishing extravaganza with my dad. There are a few spots out there that I actually might need to use the transfer case to get too so who knows what might happen. :wink
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:49 pm

So, the tow hook issue is taken care of, then?

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Red has tow hooks?
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby MrQ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:50 pm

I think I can make the hooks work in the front after looking at some pics of similar installs on EF. The rear is another matter entirely, I would like to bolt d rings through the bumper into the frame, but I'm afraid I would fuck it up and destroy bumper, Kris only has a limited supply of the original chile pepper red paint used on the Flyer and I don't want to use it up covering my mistakes. The tow hitch frame for the d-rings, might be a safer and better looking alternative.

Kris, correct me if I'm wrong but I think it would be difficult to get the same color out of different batch of paint, no matter how hard you color match. With red especially as it has a tendency to fade over time.
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:51 pm

So... Not 100% then.

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby MrQ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Picky, picky. Its only a matter of time now.

I guess I should have clarified, that Red is at a 100% when it comes to the every day driving I do with her, but not in respect to the Demon Wheeling Standard. In that I am still at 80% :wink
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:45 pm

Hey now, those are EF requirements, since its their run, not ours.

Mine's at about 35%.

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:46 pm

I can't even say that mines at 35% as I'm not sure she's been sold on Craigslist without me knowing.

Sent from my iPhone 5 bitch using Tapatalk
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby MrQ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:48 pm

May I quote the Rules for Vehicles

Core Member Requirements - Old Rules

Postby Triple E » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:47 pm
Demon4x4.com Membership Information
Core Membership: Core members are those members that have shown dedication to the sport of offroading, and to being a Wheelin' Demon. Our goal is to have the Core members consist of a capable group of vehicles willing to tackle higher rated trails.
General Requirements:

1. Lockers, front and rear. Every truck needs true 4 wheel drive. Especially members of the Core. Lockers are preferred, but limited slips are acceptable. In order to have two locker, you have to have two differentials. Sorry, no 2WD!

2. Must be willing to accept body damage and breakage. Many of the trails we have run and plan to run in the future are likely to result in body damage and/ or parts failure. Damage is a part of life in offroading. Get over it.

3. Must be equipped with the necessary recovery equipment. A winch is required. You must also carry your own recovery gear, such as tow straps, shackles, etc. The nature of offroad driving is that you'll get stuck eventually. Please come prepared.

4. Must have at least 35" tires. 35" tires represents a standard of modifications that helps lead to a capable offroad vehicle. This is a guideline only, exceptions can be made, at the majority vote of current Core members.

5. Communications. All trail vehicles must be equipped with a cb radio. It is also recommended that all tow vehicles be similarly equipped. We roll on channel 37.
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:08 pm

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:37 am

Fail.

Sent from my iPhone 5 bitch using Tapatalk
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby MrQ » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:16 am

I stand corrected. :)

However, what are the new requirements for any off-road trips Demons decide to take? I assume there are some standards?
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

PreviousNext

Return to Vehicle Registry