[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - Dan's Red Flyer II

Dan's Red Flyer II

Post and describe member vehicles and their mods.

Dan's Red Flyer II

Postby MrQ » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks to Kris Guilbeaux I now have a new Explorer to play with. I just recently acquired Red Flyer from him as I needed a replacement for the gas guzzling Ram. I am so impressed by the work Kris has put into this truck. The fit and finish is amazing and the full paint job is incredible. I don't think I'm gonna run out of good things to say about this Explorer. Without anymore ado here is the list of mods and specs copied from Kris' old registry:

Specs:

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
4.0L SOHC
5R55E
4.10's Open Front and Spartan Locker in Rear
Manual 1354 Transfer case
Falken Rocky Mountain 285/75/16 (33's)

Mods:

Lighting
6000k 55w HIDs
LED Off-Road Lights
Clear Headlight Corners and Lenses

Lift

Warrior Shackles
Add-a-Leaf
Torsion Twist 1.5"
1" Body lift
Rancho RS5000's

Interior
Limited Steering wheel with redundant radio and digital temp controls
Digital HVAC
Short console
Custom leather upholstery (red leather in place of perforated leather)

Electronics/Communications
Scangauge II
CB Radio

Exterior
Custom chili pepper red Paint PPG concept
Tupperware removed and holes welded up
"Serious Explorations" license plate frames front and back
Cut and re-welded front fenders 5" to clear larger tires
Limited Color Keyed Front Grill
Painted Rear Bumper
Front bumper trimmed and bedlined
Westin Bullbar reinforced

Sound

JVC 6.1" DVD Bluetooth Head Unit with Nav and PAC adapter to keep steering wheel controls
Kicker 5x8 speakers

Maintenance
New Fuel Pump and sock
New Fuel Filter
New bushings on Passenger side window motor
New Upper Ball Joints
New Lower Ball Joints
New Brake Pads
New Shocks

Last edited by MrQ on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-Dan

1998 Ford Explorer 4WD "Red Flyer II"
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD "Tanner"
MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Re: Dan's Red Flyer

Postby nice59fordf100 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:47 am

As always, red flyer always shines pretty good ;-)
nice59fordf100
"Read a book"
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:46 am

What lift do you plan on going with to fit the 33's? Also, what are you putting in the front diff?
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby MrQ » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 pm

I have a 1" body lift on the truck already and I am planning on getting at least 1.75" out of the torsion twist and shackles. Plus the fenders have already been trimmed by kris to fit 32's as it sits now. The front diff will probably stay open for now. I was cautioned against using auto lockers in it, but I may put a selectable locker in it down the road. Tow points are the next big concern for me. As it sits there are no tow hooks or even a trailer hitch to fasten a strap to if I get stuck.
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby nice59fordf100 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:48 am

Thats because its too pretty to go out and get stuck :-P
nice59fordf100
"Read a book"
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby MrQ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:20 pm

Part of the reason I bought Red Flyer was so that I could join in on some of the runs instead of riding shotgun and watching everybody else have fun. Don't get me wrong, 80% of the time this rig will be pavement queen, but every once in a while I would like to drop it in 4 low and sling it around with the big dawgs.
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby MrQ » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Finally got the lift on:

With just the shackles:

Plus the TT:

I think I'm going to need some bigger tires! :D
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby MrQ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Had to crank a little more on the driver's side torsion bar. Truck was looking weird so I brought out my my tape measure and that side had settled nearly a full inch! I gave it two more turns and got it within half an inch of the passenger side. I guess with the driver and the gas tank on that side the bar got soft over the years.
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby MrQ » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Looks like Red Flyer is getting some bigger treads...

Falken Rocky Mountain ATS' in 285/75/16. I only picked up two this time. I'm going to wait till my next paycheck to get the next two and then get them mounted.

I think I can make them fit. I know they will in the back and I may have to crank a little more on the torsion bars in the front ad maybe a little bumper trim.

Anyways, here are some more up close pics of the tires. And damn these things are HUGE.

Tread Pattern

I also read good reviews about these tires when it comes to rain, which is a big plus where I live. Its been raining off and on for three days.
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:16 pm

KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby MrQ » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:25 pm

Lol. Okay let me clarify. These are the largest tires I have owned. Compared to yours they are tiny.
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby TxPlates » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:10 pm

I don't think this is the proper forum for the two of you to be comparing sizes.....
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby MrQ » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:24 pm

Funny Chris. :roll

Anyways, the new treads went on this afternoon. Had a lot of compliments about Red Flyer from the Discount Tire guys. They weren't sure about the fitment, though, and I was also a little queasy about it myself. Fortunately once everything was put back together I only had minor rubbing on the front bumper. A little sawzall work took care of that, though. :D Well enough talk on to the pics!

Before

After

:D :D :D :D :bounce :bounce :D :D :D :D
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby nice59fordf100 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Congrats bud!!! They look swell!!
nice59fordf100
"Read a book"
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby MrQ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:25 pm

After several setbacks with my fuel pump, it is now and forever fixed...knock on wood. Thanks to Russell for helping me get everything back up to snuff and Kris for putting up with me for the weekend. Also found out that the recall on the cruise control switch actually works. For months my cruise control didn't work and it wasn't until I popped open the fuse caps on the recall harness that I found I had blown a fuse. Apparently my switch decided to start leaking and the harness did its job. Thanks Kris for getting the recall done other wise Red Flyer would be "Black" Flyer. I also had messed up pin on my 4x4 switch that was grounding out and draining my battery, fortunately it was an easy fix. I got everything done that I needed to get Red Flyer back on the road reliably thanks to the Demon 4x4 "Austin Chapter."

:bounce :bounce :D :D
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Re: Dan's Red Flyer II

Postby MrQ » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:43 pm

Well fuck me, I am going to have to drop the tank AGAIN. Apparently there is a little plastic piece that goes underneath the fuel pump that holds gas even when it gets sloshed around. It has since gone AWOL in the tank and is making a nice noise in there. That plus the stalling when I stop or turn gave me some clues and thanks to Kris, he pointed me in the right direction so I can get this fixed once in for all!

Tomorrow is D-day for that. Today was mod and fix. I went ahead and painted the engine cover (red of course) to make the engine stand out a bit. I also fixed the hinge on the back glass. The problem was that Ford in its wisdom decided to use a fine thread zinc coated bolt to attach a soft aluminum hinge. Over time the screw stripped out the threads in the hinge and it fell apart. I had some taps laying around from when I did the timing cover helicoil on the original Flyer and found one that was close to the original size hole and tapped it out with a wider thread. I then went through an odd assortment of machine screws to find something that fit. In the end I had to modify the screw length and after dropping it into the rear hatch sub frame multiple times I finally got it in. Hopefully it will last for a while.
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby TxPlates » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:08 am

Might be time to scrap her?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby MrQ » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:20 am

-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby TexasArmadillo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:51 am

TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby MrQ » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:05 pm

I think I need to come over to both your houses and beat the shit out of you for saying those things about the Flyer. :x

If it wasn't for me being a dumbass and not seeing that something was missing in the gas tank this would have been solved a month ago. :roll
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby TxPlates » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:47 pm

TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby TexasArmadillo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Good luck finding me. I went off the grid.

TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby MrQ » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:10 pm

I'll find you ALL. The staff at Google maps owes me a few favors. :twisted:

BUWAHAHAHA
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby TxPlates » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:40 pm

I will not tolerate threats made against me.

TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby MrQ » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Lol.
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified