[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 400: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - EEE's 1991 Ford Explorer

EEE's 1991 Ford Explorer

Post and describe member vehicles and their mods.

Re: Thoughts on this radiator?

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Holy shit, I think I just read the nerdiest thread I've ever seen:

Any updates, Russell? :lol
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Randall go a head and replace the water pump they only run about $46 bucks from auto zone for a brand new one like this one.

92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr
99 Mountaineer
Randall's truck spends more time in the Garage than the Trails... :)
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:47 pm

ok, so no upgrades out there?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm not aware of any hi performance water pumps out there
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby TxPlates » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:10 pm

That looks pretty high performance to me :)
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:40 am

Ok, I was re-looking at a Navistar upgrade for the Super Duty, so I thought I'd make sure. I came up empty on EF, so I thought I'd ask the expert.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Re: EEE's 1991 Ford Explorer

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:01 am

As I mentioned in the light bar thread, the 50" was too wide, so we set aside the top rub rail/light bar mount hoop for a future date when I get the light bar swapped out. Bumper is all done though, here are some pics:

ImageImageImageImage
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:05 am

Some of those pics are pretty terrible... I'll take some better ones this weekend.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:12 am

I like it, did you do some more testing of the brakes?
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:14 am

Drove it around a little bit before I loaded it up on the trailer, and the brakes weren't even warm afterwards, so, so far so good. It was pretty late when I got home from TAG last night, so as you can see, I didn't even bother to unload it. I just took the whole trailer to the storage place this morning with the truck on it, I'll retrieve it Saturday morning most likely.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:57 am

I don't think it would be worth the money to upgrade the water pump on these 4.0s they do a good job just the seals are where they fail
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:00 am

92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:02 am

The rear tailgate concerns me a bit though. Last time it looked like that was because of a transmission leak. :shaking
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Any thoughts on hooking up this electric fan?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby nice59fordf100 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Well Randall, that thread is still in its 'theory' stage as of right now...but if you wanted your truck to be the test bed for it, i would happily let you have the parts for free if you bring it up and let me fiddle with it
1992 Eddie Bauer 4.0 OHV+5R55E 4WD - "Blue Bandit"
1992 Navajo LX 4WD - "Nasty Hoe Bandit"
1993 Limited 4WD - "Stripe Bandit"
1997 Limited 4.0 SOHC 4WD - "Shade Bandit"
1959 Ford F100 - "Sloopy Bandit"
nice59fordf100
"Read a book"
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm scared. :ghost
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:40 pm

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:45 pm

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

EEE's 1991 Ford Explorer

Postby KF5ZXT » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:31 pm

I got the old radiator and water pump out, along with the old radiator hoses. Decided to take Kris's advice and move the power steering cooler in between the radiator and core support. So I had to fab up some mounts.

Also had to reroute some hoses and stuff to get the power steering hoses out of the route of the pulleys and whatnot. Still cleaning off the old water pump gasket, but now it's time to go to the Untapped festival!
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Nice job sir, can't wait to see her back on the trails :)
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:56 pm

All buttoned up, with no (apparent) leaks (yet)!

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Winning!
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:39 pm

That radiator looks awesome!!! How do you feel about the quality since you seen it now in person
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:36 am

The welds all look good and it has a nice heft to it. Dropped right into place. The radiator cap is smaller than my old one, so the old one could not be reused. The inlet on the upper passenger side is slightly smaller than the stock radiator, so the high temp hose that I purchased was a little loose at that connection point, too loose for the regular spring clamp to hold it on. Used a regular screw-type hose clamp to get it tight enough. I purchased the radiator that comes with the electric fan, so the following may not apply to the regular version (though I think it will). The fan shroud doesn't quite fit in between the left and right tanks, so I had to squeeze it in there a little bit, and the holes did not quite line up for the shroud, particularly the absence of the two slots on the bottom that the stock shroud would normally drop into. No worries, a couple of zip ties and we're good to go. I guess I should have taken more pics of the radiator before I installed it, my bad.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:13 am

That's ok ill take some when I get mine.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Previous

Return to Vehicle Registry