[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - M105A2 Military Trailer

M105A2 Military Trailer

Project threads for Demon vehicles.

M105A2 Military Trailer

Postby Idleone » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:19 am

After many years of searching for a suitable project that fits both the expectations of my wife and my pocket book, I have acquired my newest project. A M105A2 trailer frame. Thanks to Timothy AKA LibTimothy for allowing me to trade him a pair of my Rigid LED's for the trailer. I am currently stripping the 1965 paint off and I will say it is quite the pain in the ass. I will be converting the trailer to a trail/expedition/camping rig. I plan on having on board air, aluminum diamond plate storage, on board gas tank, gas powered generator, build in grill, tv and AC for the rooftop tent. Here are some initial pics. I will update the thread as the build progresses.

2011 Ford Raptor SuperCrew 6.2
Idleone
Legion Member
Legion Member

Re: M105A2 Military Trailer

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:20 am

Awesome. Should definitely be a sweet project. I have had thoughts of doing something similar.
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:38 am

Defintely looks like it's going to be a fun project (no pain no gain lol). Can't wait to see more updated photos with the progress. How big of gas tank you gonna add, and are you talking about the kind you see in the back of trucks so you can pump out some fuel for us when we run out on the trails?
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby Idleone » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:15 pm

Last edited by Idleone on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Idleone
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:18 pm

Are you planning to run a bank of batteries with solar, or all powered through the trailer wiring? Is it currently wired for four pin, or seven?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Idleone » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:24 pm

Idleone
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:32 pm

Bad ass setup.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:34 pm

So are you trying to make it to where the setup expands a tent, or just carry all your items for camping? That set up you posted is pretty sweet either way. Have you thought about how to even the trailer out so it's not sitting downwards at the tongue while towing?
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby Idleone » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:45 pm

Idleone
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:08 pm

Nice. I like where you're headed with this build.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby LibTimothy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:06 pm

Glad I could help.

I never could figure out what I wanted to do with that trailer frame, so I am glad you have given it a worthy purpose in life.

Timothy
I came, I saw, I got stuck in the mud.
LibTimothy

Postby TxPlates » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:16 pm

Truer words have never been spoken about that trailer. I can't wait to see the finished product.
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby 8am8am » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:04 am

SWEET! Makes me wonder what other treasures Tim is hiding away?

I've got an expedition trailer build in my head somewhere down the road so I'll definitely be tracking ur ideas & progress. Like reusing gastanks under the carriage....AWESOME IDEA! Consider it stolen! At one point I had a plethora of tanks, I'll have to get an inventory put together.....see if anything is a canidate. might even have good pumps for the purpose of transfer....pump, hose, power, simple. I'll probably put 2 switches on my pump to help prevent accidental discharge....talking to Ranger Dick accidental discharge sucks...:'(

Cost/budget/pricing is all relative to the builder, but to me the worse cost with solar is the batteries. On everything else it's a matter of shopping around....to me it's worth while to have as many 'power' options as possible. MOAB sand, or Ouray altitude renders your genny inoperable & you can't plug in. Solar wont keep ur A/C going forever, but some lights, comm station, & keeping electronics charged...oh 12v fridge if you are so inclined... Just some thoughts.

On the bright side it's something you can think over & add at any time. You can also start small with equipment that supports expansion & slowly grow your array, thus spreading out the cost. As for mounting & parking in the sun those are both easy fixes, don't, lol.....plenty of ppl leave the panels "loose" and tether back to the charge controler. If inclined you could build stands, or just use the ground & some rocks/treelimbs underneath. You could go so far as to set up a battery/inverter station at home. So the 90% of the year the trlr isn't using the panels your house is....just more thoughts....again talk to Randall about equipment that doesn't offer significant expansion. :D

Y am I picking on Randall anways?.......i have no clue....

On military & heavy grade paint i usually give in for chemical warfare. Aircraft 'gelled' paint stripper....but idk if ur work area will support such a messy, devastating, drastic attack...

Onboard water & built in grill(fuel?)...any plans for a more complete gally? Sink, cooktop, other? Space limit you to the basics?

I like ur purposed method of elevating ur tent.I hadn't thought about making mine even higher.... it'll be in my contemplations now.... what's ur plan/thought/idea on the actual tent? The price point of actual rooftop branded tents is what I can't swallow...they're usually top of the line an all but too dang much money imo. I finally decided to get what I want at a price I like I'ma have to make my own. I'm going to follow the design form of the campercase. one solid floor, and a solid wall on a hinge that opens & closes much like a suitcase give a L shape of 'solid'....canvas making up the other walls. I like this design as having the one solid wall opens up a world of mounting options. A/C,tv,fold down snack/gametable, speakers, lights, heat etc....see website below. I'll also mount a hinged awning on this wall for shade & to support solar. Park the awning due east it'll shade the living quarters well past the time you guys should be waking me up....sun moves west raise the awning for us to have more shade on the east side....

<---morning sun
Hinged awning---> /L <---shaded sleep quarter

Raised awning--->\ western sun--->
us in the shade.......L <---no need to be in here right now

campercase = http://www.camp-n-case.com/gallery.html

apologies for the plausible thread jack, not my intention just sharing as many ideas & thoughts in the name of inspiration. Especially as your gas tank idea was so great imo hopefully something I said will repay the idea...Oh & no need for concern the last section of writing still inspired Randal jokes, they're were just too many to choose from, & some quit lamen....
8am8am

Postby KF5ZXT » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:10 am

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby 8am8am » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi Randall.

I totally forgot imagine the looks you'll get when gasing up ur trailer....priceless.
8am8am

Postby TxPlates » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Went and hung out at Justin's today. Got a little bit more sanding it down done, got the VIN plate off as well to be able to paint. Gonna be pretty sweet looking when it's painted. Image
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby Idleone » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:24 am

Idleone
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby Idleone » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:25 am

Idleone
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby 8am8am » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:39 pm

I never figured out pricing i really like the design, but i figure too much for too little. Idk my length yet but I'm figuring 7ft wide, which would be about 6&1/2 ft tall/open on the high side, low side would depend on the slope of the roof....theirs is a little less then 5ft on width...even if i only end up 6ft wide i know that little bit xtra makes a big difference....err go until they make an XL version my interest only goes as far as the design. More research to keep you up late at night....

i only had time to get pix of the grill not scrounge around my fuel tanks, I'll focus on that when I get back....but if ya'll come u could be killing 2birds.
8am8am

Postby reapereviltwin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:17 pm

As a former soldier who used the M105 series trailers for 26+ years, let me say you have got a work horse. There are so many options to you only your dreams are your limits on what can be done to the trailer.

The drawbacks to the M105 is pretty much limited to it's brakes locking up and center of gravity. ( changing the set up changes the center of gravity that is on the data plate) When carrying liquids the trailer was known to roll when off camber, (10-15 degrees) this can be corrected by reversing the hubs and mounting them "backwards" to give you a wider wheel base. Fender flares are an ideal spot for mounting two gas cans or two water cans.

It is hard for me to tell by the pics, but I am assuming the wheels are split ring with inner tubes, these can be a pain in the ass to break down and get back together without the proper tools, you can probably find the tire irons you need at a good surplus store along with the inner tubes, or get a damn good patch kit. And a pick axe works very well in removing the split ring. The military thread on the wheels are great for traction but on a trailer cause drag, so when it comes time to replace them plain road thread is an option to look into.

Keeping an eye on your build, can't wait to see the finish product!!!!!! :legion

reapereviltwin
Magic Mike
CORE Member
CORE Member
Super Modified

Postby TxPlates » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:03 am

Good info to know!
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:46 am

18xemh55uk5kvjpg.jpg
18xemh55uk5kvjpg.jpg (15.09 KiB) Viewed 6467 times
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Idleone » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:22 am

Idleone
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby reapereviltwin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:22 am

reapereviltwin
Magic Mike
CORE Member
CORE Member
Super Modified

Postby TxPlates » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:10 pm

He definitely has some great ideas, and he's been working pretty diligently on it. I can't wait to see the end product.
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Next

Return to Demon Projects