[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - 2002 Explorer Sport V-8 4x4

2002 Explorer Sport V-8 4x4

Project threads for Demon vehicles.

2002 Explorer Sport V-8 4x4

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:25 am

Im just gonna put this here for now. I plan on doing a full write up with the build of this sport. Including PDF files of the electrical maps. This is the first known Job 2 sport or sport trac with a 5.0 retaining all emissions and PATS systems. The vehicle currently starts and drives, Big plans ahead with this one. Including SAS 60s in the future. This Vehicle is Owned By Bandit Customs and will be our trail rig stay tuned for whats going on with this Explorer.

92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr
99 Mountaineer
Randall's truck spends more time in the Garage than the Trails... :)
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Re: 2002 Explorer Sport V-8 4x4

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Sweet. Looking forward to updates.
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby 8am8am » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:53 pm

I don't want to see u all upset like the 'famous' rebuild, this is my obligatory check in/anxiously waiting/watching/fondling/anticipating/drooling/here for you/checking in post, post.

speaking of isn't the aforementioned thread due for an update aswell?

Back on subject on the SAS are you thinking leafs or linked? Or too far out to be determined?
8am8am

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:24 pm

Well thanks for replying for what its worth... LOL the other thread will be updated this weekend when I move the frame back over. This had to move out of the driveway first.

But to answer your question I will be going a three link design with a dana 60

I am going to Build it as a super stock design for Moab 2015 first. 4.10s locked in the rear and 33" mud-terrain tires and a 4406 If time permits I will also be installing rock cameras and rock sliders for Moab.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby 8am8am » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:12 am

My apologies you forgot I'm not a ex guy....4406 I'm assuming is a trany or transfer? I'm also assuming it's an upgrade, but is it good GOOD, beyond that? Or just a worthy moderate upgrade...

so a LOOONG stepped/staggered/staged build? That's cool i can watch & learn much more of your sploder world this way.

Now in my world 4:10s are a highway gear not really worth pushing anything bigger then a 30inch tire....is this true in your world aswell? Where as it'll be acceptable (maybe just tolerable) because of the V8 power?

Magic Mike never said he invented them, but i heard about them from him first so I say he invented rock cameras....definitely a cool idea and a mod i have on my long list of wants.
8am8am

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:04 am

With the 5.0 and 4r7w transmission 4.10 is a great gear for a 33".

The 4406 is the transfer case that came in the f150 they made auto and electric shift versions of it. Since the explorer 5.0 only was offered as a 2wd or full time awd. You have to upgrade the transfer case to get a real low range. This transfer case bolts up right behind the auto transmission in the explorer v8.

The other option is getting an atlas transfer case and I'm not a fan of several things about the atlas. It's hard to shift can't tell what gear you are in and in a light sport this transfer case is more then strong enough for this little thing
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby 8am8am » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:53 am

Well that's just icky....I'll stick with my aisin/borg warner TOD combo 4hi is good upto 70 ish so kind of AWD, but with the TOD (torque on demand) it's kind of an automated part time 4wd cuz the front wheels, independently, only get the power they need based on slip else where....or i can drop to 4lo for the greater gear reduction, & lock in to the traditional each axle gets 50% power. It's not the best trail only set-up, but for all around some snow, some ice, some mud, some sand, some of this, some of that, 4wd, it's one of the better setups especially at blue collar pricing...Definitely beats being stuck with AWD as the only option.

I'm just happy finding someone that I can agree with atlas about. They're definitely overrated, but just as much so they end up being a neccasary evil...there arn't alternatives half the time.
8am8am

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:55 am

The nice things about the atlas is the compact size and its a gear on gear box no chain drive.

The nice thing about the 4406 is there are three versions to choose from

4406 control trac 4x4
4406 electric 4x4
&
4406 manual shift

the first one offers a full time AWD with selectable 4x4 high and 4x4 low

The other two have 2wd 4x4high and 4x4 low with only difference in the way it shift either by switch on the dash or lever through the floor.

92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:02 pm

It is definitely a pain in the ass to shift. I've actually looked online for single stick modifications to it, but didn't find anything.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:57 pm

Well at least I pointed out the bad and good sides of the atlas the biggest reason for me not buying one is cost.

But on a side note 75mm v8 throttle body!!!

92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby 8am8am » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:40 am

So is the 4406 chained? Kind of looks like it with the slimmer profile.....that rules out alot of potential if so, if it's geared what sort of support does it recieve? Reduction gears, adapter plates, canidate for being doubled? Or is it just what it is....a good fit in this case & a few similar aplications? Really (personly atleas) on a trail rig the only place for chains is pullin jeeps out, not in the transfer....

that throttle body is almost too Purdy to bolt on....was stock 65mm? Or was that for the cars....? Gonna 'space' it too, or just happy being bigger?
8am8am

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:46 am

Chains have no place pulling Jeeps out. They are extremely dangerous.

Kris stated on the first line of post #8 that 'its a gear on gear box no chain drive.'
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby 8am8am » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:40 am

Counting might be too hard for me?

are you talking about where he stats the atlas is gear on gear? My question is, is the 4406 chained or geared......if somewhere that was stated my apologies. Just trying to learn ya'lls sploder ways...

all recovery lines are dangerous, but none are as dangerous as recovery line jokes.
8am8am

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:59 am

Ah, sorry, misread the question somehow. lol. Yeah, the Atlas is gear on gear, the 4406 is chain driven.

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:13 pm

Stop the presses. Randall misread something...
A 2WD stuck in a world of 4WD
"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:42 pm

It happens. Lol
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Pretty cool. Nice job.
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby mr. everyman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:10 pm

As a fellow sport owner I am looking forward to updates on this project. How has progress been since November Kris?

When is MOAB 2015 btw?
About as close to unreality, as never being, ever was.
mr. everyman
Cowboy Crust Buster & Rule Bender

Postby mr. everyman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Also, did you happen to see this thread over at explorer forum?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/sho ... p?t=166726

I'm sure you did, but if not it might be useful, although your knowledge and experience might be well beyond anything in that thread haha

edit: lol I just checked out your facebook page for Bandit Customs, looks excellent dude! And yeah, you probably won't gain anything from that link :oops
mr. everyman

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:21 pm

Progress has been great honestly.

The 4406 is in, the lift is done, the tires are installed..

I have to say getting that 4406 in the sport was a challenge. Including modifying the frame to make it fit.

Its going to Moab in May so Im sure I will have plenty of action shots soon enough.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby mr. everyman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:29 pm

mr. everyman

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:31 pm

Yes I did go manual shift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby mr. everyman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:35 pm

mr. everyman

Return to Demon Projects