[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - Randall's Dana 44 swap

Randall's Dana 44 swap

Project threads for Demon vehicles.

Postby KF5ZXT » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:06 pm

Original build up thread follows:

Demon4x4
ezOP
(10/18/01 6:31 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Randall's D44 swap
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you all know, I have been working on installing a dana 44 front axle from a 1979 Ford Bronco onto my truck. I have basically been collecting parts so far, so that I can have everything together when I start the actual install. So far the parts that I have gotten are:

C-Bushing set, EBronco Coil Towers, EXTENDED SHOCK MOUNTs, Coil Shims, Wild Horses Rockcrawler 5.5 Black coils, Dutchman 8.8 Axle Shafts 5.5 lug configuration, 35x1250 BFG's on AE589 15x10 5 on 5.5, Gears and install kits for D44 and 8.8, an Oxlocker for the D44, SkyJacker extended brakelines, 1979 Bronco, TA 8.8 Diff cover, Warrior Shackles, Mountain Offroad anti-wrap spring perches, Mountain offroad shock brackets, and a Powertrax No-Slip. 8.8.

I just picked up some tires and rims from Dallas, some 35x1250x15 BFG ATKO's on 15x10 AE 589s. I am getting Gloria Zimmerman to make me a custom transmission crossmember that will drop my transmission two inches, that will also incorporate the radius arm mounts for the new axle, and the front brackets for the rocksliders that she is making for people. I got the axle housing cut down, I will go to pick it up on Monday. All that is left after that is getting the gears and lockers installed, getting new steering linkage, new front rotors and hubs, front shocks, and fabbing the trackbar mount. I am close.

Stuff Left:
Diffguard, Bilstien 7100 Resevoir Shocks, Mile-Marker Hubs, Trail Ready Steering Linkage, ART Brakes, 36x1250x15 TSL SX, 15x10 Black Rockcrawlers (5), Rockcrawler driveshaft, and Old Man Emu 2" lift rear springs.

* - Edit: I am changing the title to reflect the fact that others of you might want to start your own threads with the same mod.
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com
MuddWhore@explorerforum.com

Edited by: Demon4x4 at: 3/26/02 6:31:31 pm

Demon4x4
ezOP
(10/23/01 8:10 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Project Explorer update.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I go to pick up the cut down Dana 44 tomorrow. They say that it is going to cost $400 bones. Yikes. If I knew then what I knew now, I might have just gone in and ordered a custom axle from the get go. I spent $750 on the Bronco, plus $400 cutting the housing, $55 cutting down the axle shaft, $200 for the gears, $800 for the front locker, and another $200 to get it all put together. Thats $2405 just for the axle componenets, and I still need to get the hubs and brakes for it, which is going to be another $450.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Demon4x4
ezOP
(10/25/01 7:32 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Well, I am thinking of changing up my front suspension plans a little bit.

Check these out:

avalancheengineering.com/parts/suspension/coilover/coilover_partlist.htm

If I use the coilovers, I won't have to worry about mounting the Early Bronco coil towers, finding a new passenger side radius arm cap, lower shock mounts, mounting the upper shock mount, or buying shocks. A guy that I have been talking to at Texas Auto Gear tells me that he can do the fab work to put coilover mounts on the knuckle of the Dana 44, and make a tube coilover mount at the frame. It will be simpler, and most importantly, will provide me with a shitload of flex. It does add little bit of cost to the project, but the extra flex will be nice. The other negative is that I have already bought some pretty nice wildhorses4x4 5.5" Early Bronco Rockcrawler coils, which I would not be using with the coilover setup. Now I just need to look into wristing a radius arm...
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Demon4x4
ezOP
(10/26/01 10:31 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Found some cheaper steering that looks at least as good as the steering from performanceunlimited.com. Check this out:

www.rockstomper.com/catalog/steering/ro ... ockrod.htm

It will cost about half of what I was expecting to pay through Performace unlimited.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Demon4x4
ezOP
(11/5/01 11:36 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
I may skip the ART rotors for the time being, in the interest in getting the truck ready sooner. I can pick up autozone rotors with hub, pads, rebuilt calipers, milemarker lockouts, an axle shaft ujoint, new driveshaft ujoint to mate up with the new axle, and all the internals for the hubs for less than the ART rotors. I sent out the stock radius arm mounts from the Bronco to be fabbed into a new transmission crossmember with a two inch drop, which will make a possible future addition of an atlas II easier. After that its just purchasing the steering, coilovers, and paying for labor on the locker/gear setups, trackbar mount and coilover mounts. I am shooting for the first of the year. I will probably wait on the wristed radius arm as well, as the arms I have currently can pull off the swap. In addition to the swap items I have a leaky brakeline that needs to be remedied, and then its off to the crawling!
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Edited by: Demon4x4 at: 11/5/01 12:09:35 pm

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/7/01 11:02 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
I am taking the axles and gears, lockers, install kits up to Texas Auto gear to get installed on Friday. They are going to primer the axle up so I can paint it when I get it home. I might just bring te front axle stuff up for now, and just drive the truck up later to get the rear done. I may have them go ahead and add the coilover mounts to the axle while they are installing the gears. Then I'll be buying the brakes, ujoints, hubs and rebuilt calipers to put the whole axle together. Then I will wait until I get the transmission crossmember/radius arm mounts from Gloria and I'll mount everything up to measure for the steering. Then its just coilovers as far as parts, and having Texas Auto Gear fab up the upper coilover hoops and track bar mounts. I might ask them about modifying the stock passenger side radius arm to the wristed style and see what their reaction is. It might be nice to have the wristed radius arm on so I can measure the adjusted length between the coilover mounts at full flex so that I get the right length coilovers. I am thinking dual rate coilovers with 250 over 150 lb coils. I will also be adding on regular shock mounts so I can run my Rancho RS9000's while on the road. They will serve to limit the suspension flex onroad and provide greater handling, being on the 5 setting. That should somewhat make up for the lack of a sway bar I plan on making the shocks easily removable for more serious offroading.

Things that I bought for the swap that I probably won't end up using include the coil shims, early bronco coil buckets, wildhorses4x4 coils, and BC Bronco shock mounts. This will adjust the project cost downward a bit, but not the actual cost
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/10/01 2:55 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
I was telling the guys at Texas Auto Gear my plans on using a bastard u-joint to mate my driveshaft to the new axle. They seem to think that bastard u-joints are *Very* weak, and that it would be a very simple thing to put a new yoke on the Dana44 axle that could accept the 1310 u-joint that comes stock with the Explrorer. They say Jeeps use this same ujoint all the time and haven't had any problems. Also, the 1310 u-joint is a very common item, and one I could easily come across should I break down on the trail, whereas the bastard u-joints are hard to come by. So it looks like I'll be going with a new pinion yoke. I will be keeping the old yoke to possibly use with a new driveshaft when I get the Atlas II.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Michael
Daemonite
(11/13/01 12:22 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Project Explorer update.
It is good to build a weak link into the drivetrain that is inexpensive and readily available. Drive shaft u-joints are fairly easy to replace on the trail, and like you said they are common in other 4 bys too, so many others may have one.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/24/01 7:29 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Solid axle in an Explorer
Hey Michael, there is a 1310 pinion yoke on ebay for $30. I paid $60 for mine.

cgi.ebay.aol.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=598148349
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Michael
Daemonite
(11/25/01 6:03 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Solid axle in an Explorer
Thanks, but the auction ended before I could check in there. I think I may just have a new front shaft built that fits the Dana 44 yoke on one end and the t-case on the other. I'm giving serious thought to stepping this project up and doing it over the christmas holidays. How long did it take Texas auto gear to cut down and regear your axle? I think that is all that would hold up my project since you have everything else I need except axle and radius arms. Those are coming from bronco graveyard.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/26/01 11:55 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
I gave them a call to see if they cut down and respline axle shafts, but they don't so you will have send it out. Just letting you know now so you can better set up your time frame. Also, when you order your gears, be very clear that you want them for a reverse rotation Dana 44 (If that is what you are getting), the first set that they sent me were for a standard rotation.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Edited by: Demon4x4 at: 11/26/01 1:10:28 pm

Michael
Daemonite
(11/26/01 12:48 pm)
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna order the axle, a HP dana 44 from a 78-79 F150, so that it will be at my house when I get home after exams. While the axle is at TAG getting cut and set up I'll send out the shaft to get cut down. I think I may get an OX locker for my front end as well. I was looking at an ARB but it is $600 and then $200 for a compressor, so I'm at the $800 for the OX. I think we should plan to hit the Slab in early Jan for a shakedown day. We can tow out, wheel for a day and then come back and fix.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/26/01 2:29 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Sounds like a definite plan to me! It looks like we are going to have the market cornered as far as solid axle explorers with you, me, and Brian's in the works, and Kris is contemplating his as well. The Dodge and the two cherokee's already have solid axles, so that just leaves the BII at Kris's house I am thinking of fixing that one up and selling to my brother.

I believe that the exact length to cut down the axle shaft is from 33.91 to 27.94 for a difference of 5.97 inches. My measurements were a little off because I was measuring against the 66-71 19 spline Dana 30 front axle, instead of the 71-77 30 spline Dana 44 front axle. This is of course if you are trying to get them the same length so that you can use a stock length axle shaft in the event of breakage. While you are ordering from Broncograveyard.com, get you some 7 degree C bushings. The only other thing that I can think of that you need are new rear axle shafts, new steering linkage, and some new rims. Also, I don't know if TAG is going to use it or not, but I got a track bar mount extension from jamesduff.com that they may be abl;e to use to fabricate the track bar mount. It was something like $35 dollars.

Oh, and if for some reason your surrent skyjacker radius arm/transmission crossmember does not work, Gloria is going to be selling the bracket that she is making for me seperately from the Rock Sliders, so you could go that route, with the option of adding the rocksliders later. I don't know yet how much they will be, but I am sure that it won't be as much as mine, since it was the first "custom" bracket she had to make. Kris has been talking to her about the same bracket.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Edited by: Demon4x4 at: 11/26/01 1:40:18 pm

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/26/01 10:07 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Just went to Autozone and dropped 300 bones. I got new calipers, axle shaft ujoints, ball joints, rotors, hubs, pads, and brake fluid. I am going to call avalanche engineering tomorrow to order the coilovers...
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Michael
The Red Bull
(11/27/01 12:47 am)
Allright! It's finally coming together. Don't worry too much about the 300 bucks. You would have spent 500 to get that stuff for the 35. New bearings, races, and pads for the front cost me over 100 a few weeks ago. I'll keep Glorias thing in mind if I can't make the skyjacker thing work. Hopefully it will though so that I don't have to leave the truck disassembled for too long. Unlike you I have no other transportation. Next time I'm in Houston I'm gonna come by and pick up the things that you have for me so that I can get everything else ordered. I think you should take my dana 35 and lift stuff and put it under that BII with some 35's.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/27/01 5:54 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
About those 300 bones... I went to one autozone, who was out of the rotors, and they had a price on them set at $95 a peice. They looked in their computer to see if their main store on Bellaire and Hillcroft had them, and they did, for 25.99 each side! If I were you, and you needed new rotors, I would run over to that Autozone and pick up the last two that they had.

As far as the B2 goes, if my brother were to buy it, he only wants about 3 inches of lift. I could do a little bit of trimming and put on your 33 MT's though, especially since I have two more in the back of my Explorer. I would probably use the james duff stuff to do the lift on the Bronco II. Besides, we wouldn't want the Bronco to bigger than my X, now would we

I ordered the coilovers, 14 inch stokes dual rate kit with 450/300 lbs and resevoirs. It will take two weeks for them to custom valve them, and then I'll be set. Especially if Gloria's crossmember gets to me in time.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Michael
The Red Bull
(11/27/01 6:29 pm)
I'm gonna have to totally rebuild the axle. It is sold as a rebuilable core by bronco graveyard. So, I'm going to pick up a master overhaul kit to install with the gears and then replace everything that you just bought; ball joints, inner and outer bearings, races, hubs, rotors, and calipers. All that stuff I'm going to wait to get until I have the axle in my hands.

I'll make you a good deal on those 33's. I can also hook you up with a set of 5 on 4.5 Mickey Thompson wheels to put them on. I actually couldn't give you the 35's, my stupid head forgot that I am going to need them on my truck since I can't afford to get new ones yet.

I don't think you need to worry about anybody's X being bigger than yours. I think it is going to be huge.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/27/01 8:01 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
hey, you're the one looking to get the 37" boggers
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(11/28/01 2:04 am)
Hey Guys...

I have a few more things to consider before doing the Solid Axle. I would like to go in to more detail on that but James Duff told me to keep it quiet (opps!!!). <--- Shhh!!! I didnt tell you... No Time frame yet.

Kris

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/28/01 10:55 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
aw come on, you can tell us...
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Michael
The Red Bull
(11/28/01 1:19 pm)
Yeah Kris, you can tell us. We won't tell anybody.

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(11/28/01 6:45 pm)
Ok but keep it on the Down low. I was talking to the product manager at James Duff. they have plans to develop a solid axle swap kit. They are not sure how soon this will happen. They are finishing up there Early Bronco line before Christmas. I have been talking to him about product that would be high Demand Items for the Explorer guys. Every thing from Small to large ticket items. Such as replacement door panels or a repair kit. Adaptors for an NV3550 is in the Works for the 5.0 swaps. and the Solid axle swap which would work on Rangers and Bronco II as well as the Explorers. I am Keeping in Close contact with james Duff I will also want to take and send Pictures of ya'lls swaps to help speed up the Process if you know what I mean.

Kris

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/28/01 6:57 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Bad ass! when you say replacement doors, do you mean half-doors?!?! Keep us updated on the swap info, who knows, we might change something out to use something of theirs.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Michael
The Red Bull
(11/28/01 8:32 pm)
That is kick ass Kris. If they could come up with a hella strong track bar bracket we would be golden. That is the one concern that I have about this. The only potential down side to a swap kit by them is that they will likely design it to use the low pinion dana 44 from an EB. Not a bad axle, but it doesn't have the diff clearance of a HP. It may also cause difficulties with front drive shaft angles. Also tell them that we need some 5.5" variable rate coil springs .

Randall, did you see Brians post that he is going to use an OX locker too. Texas is gonna have a plethora of solid OX locked EX's.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/28/01 8:46 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
He told me that he was looking into it on the phone, and I just found the thread. Well, Michael, with any luck, he'll be the third solid axle ox-locked Explorer in Texas The Race is on

The track bar mount was the piece that I had in mind when I mentioned using something of theirs. I mentioned to TAG that I wanted the track bar mount to be braced to the other side of the frame and they felt that that was a hell of an idea.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Edited by: Demon4x4 at: 11/28/01 8:01:20 pm

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(11/28/01 9:07 pm)
On the Door Panels I mean Stock Replacements. I will talk to James Duff about the best route to go on things with the dana44 and I told jim I would take the first kit and test it for them if they would like...

Michael
The Red Bull
(11/29/01 12:23 pm)
I may end up being the third solid axle in Texas. I was adding up the costs of the swap on a spreadsheet yesterday, and I don't think that I'll be able to afford to do it over the holidays. It will be done by Moab though. My first step is going to be to get the axle, gears, locker. I'll work on cleaning up everything and gathering the rest of the parts as time and money permits. Next semester I only have school two days a week and so I'll be able to work the other three. The extra money will allow me to buy more swap parts . I'm still more than willing to help you get yours under the Ex.

Trckmagik
Daemonite
(11/29/01 1:56 pm)
Hey guys! With any luck, Ill be first! The only thing I am waiting on is to get my lazy butt out in the garage so I can install the rear axle! Then it is off to the conversion shop! I will not be doing this one on my own. I cant wait! I need to come see you Randall to get the transfer case. Let me know! I may head that way this weekend if you are going to be around.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/29/01 6:58 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
I'll be home, just give me a call. It's going to be close, that's for sure.

Be sure to let us know which options you are entertaining with your swap so we can compare notes.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Edited by: Demon4x4 at: 11/29/01 6:23:42 pm

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(11/29/01 11:42 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del atlas
Brian, Your Not going with the Atlas II?

Kris

Trckmagik
Daemonite
(11/30/01 8:29 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: atlas
Nope not now! I figure I can add it later. Money issue

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(11/30/01 12:15 pm)
What kind of T-case are you getting from Randall?

Trckmagik
Daemonite
(11/30/01 1:50 pm)
A manual t-case! Randall this one will work w/ my auto transmission right?

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(11/30/01 6:10 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: atlas
yep
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Michael
The Red Bull
(12/3/01 12:07 am)
I want an atlas II too. And some 5.13 gears. And some 37" boggers, and dual dana 60's, and ... This thing has a bit of a snowballing effect huh. I need to win the lottery.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(12/3/01 10:57 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: atlas
hey, if you do hook me up
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(12/4/01 12:23 am)
Yeah if you win the Lottery dont forget about me either...

Michael
The Red Bull
(12/10/01 12:12 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Incentive to finish
Hey Randall,

There is a guy here in SA planning a run to Gilmer for the first weekend in January (4-6). Just a little incentive to get it done. I'm hoping to have my bent axle fixed and my front locker installed by then. Kris, think about those dates and see if that could work for you too.

Edited by: Michael at: 12/10/01 11:13:42 am

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(12/10/01 1:58 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Incentive to finish
What kind of locker are you going with up front?

Hopefully I will be ready by that date. They are putting my axle together today, it will be finished by friday. Gloria is going to start on my transmission crossmember as soon as she finishes Kris' rocksliders, which should be either today or tomorrow. The coilovers should be here some time next week. I will probably order the tie rod from Rockstomper.com tomorrow, and wait on the drag link until everything else is mounted. Once the peices are here, I am going to mount the transmission crossmember with the radius arms and axle and put the stock coils from teh Bronco on there so that I can get the truck onto a trailer, at which time I will be towing it up to TAG to mount the coilovers and trackbar. And after that I need to get that front brakeline fixed.

BTW, the measurement of my axle from upper ball joint to upper ball joints is 46-3/4 (at the center of the holes).
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(12/11/01 12:23 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Incentive to finish
Hey remember if you need Help I am always available on Sundays and Fridays on short notice. For the Run up to Gilmer I can Take off work for that.

Michael
The Red Bull
(12/11/01 12:21 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Incentive to finish
I'm going to use a detroit EZ locker. It is only $250 from 4wheelparts. I didn't want to spend the money on an ARB since I want to do the SAS as soon as I can get the money together. I'll let you guys know more about the Gilmer thing as that guy gives me details. If he falls through we can always go on our own.

Michael
The Red Bull
(12/18/01 5:44 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del news?
Randall,

What is up with your swap? I'm home from school for a while, so let me know if you need a hand with anything. my cell number is 713-858-2781.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(12/18/01 6:25 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: news?
The only news is that there is no news. I watch for the UPS truck daily, but alas, the coilovers have not yet arrived. Neither has the crossmember been completed by gloria, so I continue to sit and wait. I am awaiting nothing else. Mayhaps I will just go out and take pictures of the truck where it stands, to ease the stagnancy in my mind.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Edited by: Demon4x4 at: 12/18/01 9:21:45 pm

Michael
The Red Bull
(12/18/01 9:50 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: News
I feel your pain. I have watched the UPS truck drive past my moms house three times today, and my front axle hasn't arrived yet. I have my locker (looks really cool in the box), but I don't want to start the disassebly of the frontend with out the new parts. Waiting for parts sucks. If you get your parts, we will do whatever it takes to get your truck ready to run Jan 4-6. If you crosssmember would come, we could put it together with the coils for that weekend and then you could have TAG fab the coilover stuff later.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(12/18/01 10:26 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: News
I may just have to do that. Gloria emailed me a week prior and informed me that she would begin construction on the crossmember while installing it on her own truck. I have heard no news from her up to now. I will call Avalanche engineering on the morrow and confirm the status of the order.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Michael
The Red Bull
(12/19/01 11:06 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re:
Your stuff may just be bogged down in the mess that is holiday shipping.

Michael
The Red Bull
(12/19/01 9:59 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del RE
My stuff came today. It was so cool, they had to send the axle truck freight, so it came on an 18 wheeler. I was like a kid in a candy store watching this man unload my stuff from the truck.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(12/20/01 12:41 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: RE
My coilovers arrived today as well, but the coil kits (that attach the coils to the shocks) are on backorder... ho hum
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(12/22/01 10:59 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: RE
ok, the backordered part came in yesterday, and here is an update on the transmission crossmember.

Quote:
Steel is cut. Has been slow going due to the weather. We cannot cut or weld when the wind chill is 15 degrees (we cut and weld outdoors so we don't damage stuff in the shop). It held us up on others we are working on also. Anyway, the transmission crossmember should be complete soon, then we will do the sliders.

My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(1/13/02 3:00 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Quote:
Anyway, we JUST got our chop saw back from the repair shop. Burned up the motor in it around Xmas (that was our present). Thats what we get for not paying attention to a blade that was given to us. It was 3X thicker than the regular blades, and we were cutting 5" plate. Thought we just burned the brushes, so bought new brushes....... but, was still sparking and running at half speed afterward.
Anyway, got it down to Vegas and they had to rebuild the entire armature assembly.

We will cut the top brace for the trans crossmember, then do the final fit. The rear mounts are done. Then we will just have to do the front ones.

My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(1/13/02 8:12 pm)
yep that is the same thing she told me. They did get mine finished and they have been Shipped and my sliders will be here on the 17th. I might be ordering a second set in the future now.

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(1/19/02 2:48 pm)
Randall,

I got my Sliders. these things are heavy duty. But the sad thing is I now have to order a second set. But this time they are going to be more like yours. Did you ever get your Coil overs. What all do you have left to Do on Your Explorer?

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(1/19/02 4:58 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
The coilovers came in a month ago yesterday. I am waiting on the sliders/transmission crossmember as the last piece. After I have that, I can install the axle, and set it up with the original bronco coils, and tow it up to TAG to fabricate the coilover mounts and install my rear gears and lockers. Then I need to fix the passenger side brakeline, and I'll be ready to go.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Michael
The Red Bull
(1/21/02 11:18 pm)
Geez, Gloria sure is taking her swet time getting your stuff to you. I've been hesitant to order a set of sliders from her since it seems like I might have to wait a few months on them. MAybe I'll just make my own. Once you get the cross member from her you'll have to set up a work day for us to come and help you get it rolling.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(1/22/02 5:45 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Yeah, I don't think I will be ordering from her again. Usually when a company is going to take that long, they would at least not make you pay for it in advance. It has been 2-1/2 months since I paid twice the cost of the sliders for her to add on the tranny crossmember. Good thing that I didn't try to hold my breath...
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(1/24/02 3:40 pm)
In Gloria's defence I do think she knew it was going to take this long either. I was happy to get my Sliders finally. Now I just need to get an angle drill to install the Sliders. I priced one at Lowes at $90.00 . So money is Going quicker and Quicker.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/2/02 8:59 pm)
Well guys, I am thinking that I am going to order another set of radius arm brackets, and attempt to fab up my own transmission crossmember. Gloria just had her baby on the 18th by c-section, so it will likely be a while before she is fully recovered. I recently got a new welder, and I don't figure that it could be that hard to fab up something similar to this:

I am going to grind off the studs that currently hold on the coil buckets and replace them with bolts so it will be easier to take off when I get it up to TAG to install the coilovers. I need to put the rear driveshaft back on, as well as bolt the transfer case back on, which I will probably do on Monday after I get of work. After that I will wait on the radius arm brackets to get in, and I'll prop up the tranny and remove the old crossmember. If anyone is interested in helping with the fabrication of the crossmember let me know, as I will be learning on the job. I figure that I can just remove it when Gloria's comes in. Let me know what you think.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Edited by: Demon4x4 at: 3/3/02 12:56:20 pm

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(3/3/02 9:25 pm)
Randall,

How much lower is the Cross member your getting from Gloria going to be. If worse comes to worse I can buy the Cross member from you to go in Fenway. I have made up my mind and I am Going to build the Green one Based on the Fact that the Navajo is in so much better shape and looks good as a DD. Plus I feel I could Tear up the Green one more and not feel as bad about it. I am Not sure what you paid for you sliders but the only thing I am conserned about is the Drop in the Cross member messing with the 5.0 swap since I have the Body lift to clear the atlas II. I saw the Post about the Dana 60 and I was really temped to buy one for Fenway. But for now I think I am going to stay 8.8 But I am still thinking about that 9" rear you got.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/3/02 9:48 pm)
The one from Gloria is going to be a 2" tranny drop. What I could do is make a crossmemb er without a drop to use until I get Gloria's, at which point I will just swap them out, and you could use the other one. Unless you are planning on getting another set of sliders for Fenway? Or are you planning on not using the sliders for the navajo?

I paid double what you paid for the sliders w/crossmember. Make me an offer on the 9" and its yours
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Edited by: Demon4x4 at: 3/3/02 8:51:20 pm

Michael
The Red Bull
(3/3/02 11:47 pm)
I think it would be easy to duplicate that crossmeember in the photo. All you would need to do is bolt on the radius arm mounts, and then measure and cut the tubing to go in between. Then weld it up. I'll be happy to help you with it next weekend and the first part of the next week. That is my Spring break so I will be in Houston for part of it. I was thinking about busting out my welder to build a skid plate for my t-case. I think that I might need one since I decided to go on the Arizona Run. I was going to call you anyway and see if you would let me borrow the axle shafts out of your D35 so that I could take spares, and maybe your tcase skidplate if I don't get mine built. I'm going to order those airdowns tomorrow, do you want a set? If so what color?

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(3/4/02 1:28 am)
I was thinking about get a set of sliders but I am not as worried about it on Fenway. The Navajo is going to get the Sliders as I can not put the Shorter 2dr sliders on Fenway. But once you get the 2" drop ones from Gloria I would gladly buy your crossmember you made.

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(3/4/02 1:45 am)
When are you going to work on it this week I am on Vacation till Thursday. I dont mind driving to Houston for a day, Plus I can go and look for power seats.

Kris

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/4/02 8:16 am)
Michael, I found those air downs $10 cheaper on SunPerformance.com I like ta aluminum colored ones. I could get you the $50 next time I see you, or send it to you, whatever you want. My transfer case skidplate is already removed, so you can borrow mine. You can use the axle shaft too, I probably won't need them for a while, and it'll give me some practice disassembling the axle. I could easily take off Wednesday if you guys want to come down then, or maybe Friday. Friday might be better because the radius arm mounts are more likely to have come in by then. This weekend is bad for me because I am going camping/rock climbing at enchanted rock. It's costing me about $65 to rent all of the climbing gear and stuff, but I kind of got talked into it. oh well.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(3/4/02 9:23 am)
Wednesday is the last day of my vacation. I would like to hit some yards up that way to look for some seats. Friday is not so good for me because of work...

Michael
The Red Bull
(3/4/02 11:16 am)
I can't be in town until Friday, but I can just stop buy and pick up that stuff. I was thinking the same thing about the front axle. I've never taken it all the way apart, so it would be a learning experience.

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(3/4/02 3:21 pm)
I have taken the front axle all the way apart. Its easy.

I will double check that I am Working on Friday. if not I might drive up to Houston but I am 75% sure I am Working. I might still go up there Wed. also.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/4/02 5:54 pm)
well, unless the radius arm brackets get here, all I really have to do is remove the rivets from the coil buckets and put the rear driveshaft back on, if only I could find where I put those damn bolts... So it might not be worth coming down for. I'm going to try to find some good steel to work with, maybe some 2" square tubing and 1/4" plate. unless you guys have some lying around
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(3/4/02 7:27 pm)
Sorry I dont have any steel lying around. I might still go up to Houston just to par-take of the Yards around there. As I have a parts list for Fenway.

Kris

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/4/02 8:12 pm)
What all are you looking for?
Man those rivets are a pain in the ass. I've cut all the heads off on the drivers side, and drilled through one, but thay are all still attached. There are 6 on each coil bucket.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Michael
The Red Bull
(3/4/02 10:47 pm)
Since you have the heads off, see if you can get a prybar behind the coil bucket itself and pry it off. Then you should be able to drive the rivets out with a BFH. I can't uderstand why Ford used rivets instead of bolts, so much harder to work with. I ordered those air down things today, they should be here by this weekend. I don't have any steel laying around, but there are lots of places in Houston to go and buy some. It shouldn't be too expensive.

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(3/4/02 11:33 pm)
Yeah I hate those rivits also. They suck ass... Any way. I am Looking for cloth power seats in Tan for a 92. I know one of the Yards there has some but I forgot which one.

Kris Guilbeaux
Daemonite
(3/6/02 4:17 pm)
I did not make it up to Houston today. So I am Going to try for Friday. Dont know yet though.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/12/02 7:13 pm)
I got the package from JBG yesterday, but they only sent one radius arm mount. I still need to find a left radius arm mount to complete the crossmember. I called JBG and they said that the part was not available. I asked if he meant that they were just out of stock, but he said 'no, not available.' Whatever that means. So I've sent out a few feelers to try to find one, but haven't gotten any response yet. I started cutting 1/4" plate to make the 45 degree parts of the crossmember, and after I get those done I'll cut one end of the tube to the right angle. I won't be able to measure it off and cut it to the right length, obviously, since I don't have both mounts. If you guys happen to see one let me know.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(3/13/02 2:27 am)
Check Junkyarddog.com and Bronco Graveyard. for the other mount. If you find one by Friday I will help you make the Crossmember. As I want to go to Houston some time soon, but I would like to go on a day that I feel I can be he most help.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/13/02 8:36 am)
I've checked with both, and many others. JBG (Jeff's Bronco Graveyard) says that it is not available, and I haven't gotten a reply back from junkyard, or any other of a number of similar sites. I'll let you know if I find one.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(3/14/02 1:23 am)
Alrighty then if you need help this Friday LMK...

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/16/02 8:19 pm)
I found a guy who is parting out a 78 Bronco and he is going to disassemble the front end and sends me the radius arms and mounts. All that I wanted was the passenger side radius arm bracket, but he made me a good deal so I'm taking everything. So now I'll have some extras for whenever I decide to wrist a radius arm, or something. He said that he would be done tearing down the bronco by Mon-Tues, and then he would ship. Hopefully I get everything by next weekend. I am working on setting everything else up so that I will be finished with the crossmember shortly after I get the bracket. I would still need to get some sort of reaming drill bit to ream out the steering knuckles to accept larger chevy tie rod ends for a steering over conversion, and then I'll order new steering from Rockstomper.com. Slowly but surely...
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(3/17/02 2:25 am)
Great to hear the good News. it will be even better when it is all done and tearing up the Trails....

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/18/02 9:05 pm)
Driver's side arm and bracket installed today.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(3/18/02 9:39 pm)
Wow... Did you start making the Crossmember already too?

I have a CD player in Fenway Now. That is what I did today.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/18/02 9:46 pm)
I've started it, I've made both 45 degree pieces that will attach to the sides of the radius arm brackets, but I can't finish until I get the other bracket. Also I am thinking that it might be easier to cut and weld the current transmision crossmember and weld it onto those 45 degree pieces. Actually, I would then only need to cut and weld on the passenger side. The drivers side bracket can go on without interference of the transmision crossmember.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(3/18/02 10:42 pm)
Dont forget to take pictures... And I might want you to help me build mind in a few months.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/18/02 10:58 pm)
I took some, but I can't upload them yet because I let Amber borrow my computer that has all of my web files on it... doh! Her Mac blew up so I let her borrow my PC, since she had just bought me a laptop and all...
Also, my digital camera kind of blows, most of the pictures are a little dark. Oh well, they're servicable.
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/23/02 11:21 pm)
The dude witht he 78 Bronco emailed me to say that the parts are shipping out Monday, so they should definately be here before the weekend. I called TAG on Friday and they said that there was a slight misalignment on the passenger side axle tube that they were working on, but it should be ready by Monday afternoon. So I will probably pick it up from them on Monday after classes. Then I'll upload some pics of the axle fully assembled. Then I can measure for the steering and order it on Tuesday, hopefully it could be here by the weekend as well, and I can tow the Ex back up to TAG on the following Monday morning. Here's hoping everything falls in place ...
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com
TEXplorers.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(3/24/02 1:36 am)
Sweet it is getting so close... Moab is Going to Rule...

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(3/27/02 12:38 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del more on track bar mount
I was looking at the fabritech kit and noticed that the Track bar mount was mounted on the Engine crossmember. any thoughts on this?

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/27/02 5:32 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: more on track bar mount
That trackbar mount looks solid. More so because I doubt there being any problems ripping the bracket off of the engine crossmember as we have seen with both Rick's and Tom Davis' frame mounted track bar brackets. Now if only we could get fabritech to sell seperate components of that kit, or get James Duff to make a similar one
My Truck
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(3/27/02 8:27 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: more on track bar mount
I just wish I could find some one with a Fabritech kit that could have shop copy it. I dont want to spend $1700.00 for a track bar mount.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/27/02 11:52 pm)
Yeah, that would be ideal. I am surprised that no one on the board has opted for one. Surely Fabritech has a sold a few of their explorer kits.
91 Moab Edition
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(3/28/02 1:29 pm)
I am Now thinking of saving up some cash and buying a Fabritech kit. I have been thinking of the Cash that a A lot of the Guys on the Board have put in to a Dana 44 swap has cost them more then the Fabritech kit Stage III which even comes with a rebuilt Dana 44 for $3000.00- $4500.00

FAKWAREE spent $5000.00 on his Axle alone. Plus having a Dana 44 swap done in One day would be Priceless...

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/28/02 6:18 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: more on track bar mount
True. And if you did it real soon I could get a copy made of the track bar mount
91 Moab Edition
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(3/28/02 8:48 pm)
I think I will be buying one about Mid summer. I am Going to start saving so I can Fork over the $3000.00- $4500.00 I am Going to go ahead and get 4.88 gears. because I am Going with a 5.0 in the Truck which I will have more low end torque and the Atlass II.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/30/02 9:03 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Randall's D44 swap
The new (used) brackets and radius arms came in yesterday, so I'll be putting them on today and tomorrow, including starting on the tranny crossmember. I'll alos be re-installing the rear driveshaft.

Pics will be at www.Demon4x4.com/Mudd/Swap.htm.
91 Moab Edition
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com

Edited by: Demon4x4 at: 3/30/02 7:36:16 pm

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(3/30/02 7:31 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Randall's D44 swap
Sweet but when is the Link going to start working?

One of these days I will make a trek back up to Houston.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/30/02 8:46 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Whoops, my bad. Link is fixed. I didn't get started until late, so I did not get a whole lot accomplished. I cleaned off the radius arm mount and mounted it, I still need to drill three more holes to keep it on. I chopped up the stock transmission crossmember enough to weld it up to the 45 degree piece that I bolted onto the radius arm mount. Tomorrow I will drill the three holes and start figuring out how to weld. I alos bolted the driveshaft back on finally. I need to go pick a new 1310 ujoint to replace the one on the end of the front driveshaft, because somewhere along the way I lost one of the bearing caps. TAG is still straightening out the axle assembly, they said they would be done with it this coming week... still more setbacks, it seems.
91 Moab Edition
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(3/31/02 1:33 pm)
sounds like it is getting there next time I see it it might have a Dana44 bolted in it. cant wait to see you take it out wheeling...

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(3/31/02 6:13 pm)
I got the other passenger side radius arm and bracket on, I will upload the pics in a bit, same link. The radius arm bracket hole for the radius arm is not as deep and reinforced as all of the other brackets I have seen, it seems to be missing a ring of steel about 3/8" thick. Without it the radius arm bushing isn't binding in there like it supposed to. I will have to find some ring or piece of plate steel with a big enough hole to weld on there. I have the transmission crossmember wedged into place, it still needs to be welded. I am going to practice a bit with my welding before I don anything too permanent, like fixing a lawn chair that has some broken welds. I may do the welding tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime, I need to go find something for that radius arm bracket...
91 Moab Edition
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com

Michael
The Red Bull
(4/1/02 11:56 am)
Sounds like things are finally comeing together. I can't wait to see the thing in action soon. Maybe you can find a big washer to fill in the gap in the radius arm bracket. I don't know when I'll be back in Houston, but when I am I am willing to help with something.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(4/2/02 6:53 pm)
Well, I could not find a washer big enough at Lowes of Hi-Lo, the bih=ggest that they had was a inch, and I need about 1-1/2 or 1-3/8 hole to go around the bushing. I'll have to keep looking. I might just pick up another piece of plate steel and use a hole saw and just make the damn thing.
91 Moab Edition
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(4/5/02 9:28 am)
Sierra Bronco's is working on a trackbar brace that would tie in the trackbar extension to the other side of the frame. About halfway down the page. No price yet.
sierrabronco.com/top.htm
91 Moab Edition
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(4/28/02 1:36 pm)
Randall,

Any new stuff with the Explorer since Moab is in about 5 weeks.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(4/28/02 6:30 pm)
Moab is not looking too likely for me. TAG says that the axle should be done on monday, but they have been having problems getting the axle straight. They have suspicions that the axle was bent to begin with. The Rockstomper hoops should be here any day now, but its all up to whether or not the axle can be straigtened out.
91 Moab Edition
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(4/29/02 2:16 pm)
Well, I just got off the phone with TAG, they said the axle will be ready by tomorrow evening! woohoo!!! it just might be possible for me to make it after all! it's gonna be if it is ready on time. I can hardly contain myself. Actually I can. but maybe not after I pick up the axle! If all goes well, I'll be picking the axle up tomorrow, then installing it on the truck on Wednesday afternoon, including mocking up the wildhorses coils just to get it on the trailer. oh, and of course I'll be taking some pics.
91 Moab Edition
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com

Michael
The Red Bull
(4/29/02 4:29 pm)
Kick ass! Get it ready soon and get it over here for a shakedown run before Moab. I may be around a little on Thursday and Friday. Classes will be over here on Wednesday. Let me know if you need a hand getting it together and up to TAG.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(4/29/02 8:57 pm)
Rockstomper hoops arrived today. I can taste it now.
91 Moab Edition
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com

Kris Guilbeaux
Fenway
(4/30/02 12:01 am)
Sweet!!! Great to hear that Randall... Now we can get you ready to go. The Navajo is All done and ready to go just got to change the Oil before the Trip. I am also going to move my Sliders in about 5" Cause they get in the way when I get in and out of the Navajo so they will be even with the Body and look more liek what Ricks Sliders look like.

Demon4x4
Head Demon
(5/4/02 8:05 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Just letting you guys know that I got the axle on the truck. I used 7 degree bushings at the axle, and I tried to use the Dana 35 steering linkage to get it on the truck, but it only succeeded in moving the body from side to side, no tire movement. The axle looks sweet, Micheal helped me put it on the truck, Thanks Micheal. The wildhorses coils set up the height perfectly, IMO. here's a pic:

The truck barely squeezes on the trailer with the 35x1250 tires mounted. I'll be towing it up to TAG on Monday, most likely during work, on lunch or something. All they have left to do is regear and lock the rear, cut down the trackbar and make a bracket, install the rockstomper hoops, and fab lower coilover mounts, and they are going to fix my brakelines as well. The battery is probably dead for good. I went to shift it in neutral to pull it out of the garage, and the keys were still in it in the 'on' position. oh well, now I need a battery. I'll probably swing by someplace and pick up a red top to put in there.
Also, I just remembered that I have an extra bumper in the garage from when I wrecked it, its all bent up, perfect for cutting the ends off and getting a coat of spray paint, and probably some hi-lift brackets.
91 Moab Edition
Demon4x4.com
Explorer4x4.com

Edited by: Demon4x4 at: 5/4/02 7:14:14 pm

Michael
The Red Bull
(5/5/02 11:55 am)
The 5.5 coils did get it sitting pretty good. It looks like it would be level with a 1" block in the rear. Now for some 36's and you are set for Moab. No need for thanks on the help. I'm sure you'll be under mine helping me do the same thing one day.

CHH777
Daemonite
(5/6/02 2:20 pm)
Awesome. I really need to meet with you guys to do some homework for my swap. Any chance we could meet sometime soon?

Demon4x4
Demon Overlord
(5/6/02 4:27 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Sure thing. I plan on doing a run to Devil's Den during the weekend of the 18th for a skakedown before Moab. I'll put a post up in the club runs forum. We also occasionally get together for 'work on trucks day.' So if y
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Return to Demon Projects