[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - Red Bull - Dana 44 on the way

Red Bull - Dana 44 on the way

Project threads for Demon vehicles.

Red Bull - Dana 44 on the way

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:44 pm

I bought a Dana 44 yesterday. Should ship monday if the weather holds in PA. I don't yet have a time table for the swap but it will happen as soon as is financially possible. I thinking of having Cory do it with EB coil buckets, 5.5 Wild horses coils, a wristed arm, and full hydro steering :eek
topped off with 37 boggers or crawlers.
Michael B
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Michael
Demon Reverto

Re: Dana 44 on the way

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:54 pm

nice. full hydro, eh? I was thinking of going hydro assist on mine. What are the details on the axle? What did it come out of?
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:18 pm

With a full hydro set up I don't have to worry about clearance issues between the drag link and trac bar. And no bump steer...ever. Are you going with the RedNeck Ram from West Texas? It is a LP 44 from a 74 Bronco. It is just a housing with a carrier and 3.50 gears, and spindles. No outer anything. I think that the track bar and drag link are coming with it. So it includes only the basics that I need and nothing I don't. I figured on getting the F150 brake setup from complete of road, a monster beefy tie rod from rockstomper (one of their 1/2" sleeved deals with rod ends), a detroit and 5.13's. There is a guy on the PBB that goes by Station that deals in hydraulic stuff and can custom set up a system for you. I was looking at some pics of one he set up with two 1.5 inch rams and a return to center orbital valve. The guy said it drove great on and off road, and even works decent w/o the engine running.

I figured that the LP 44 would be good for now, my eventual plan is to put Dynatrac Pro-Rock 60's in it w/ 38.5 SX's. That will have to wait until after Grad school though...when the big bucks start happening.

Have you seen that they are planning Tellico again in the beginning of May? Wanna go, it will be a perfect proving ground for the solid axle if it is done, and the winch if we get really lucky :D
Michael B
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Michael
Demon Reverto

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:32 pm

Great to hear it Michael. I know some one interested in Some of the Parts that is Coming off the Bull. :)
And Damn I got real close to buying a Tow rig today. but I knew i could not afford it. It was such a perdy truck. 2001 F-350 Diesil, 4x4, super cab, short bed, and in Green.... I just dont have that kind of money...

Have you talked to Cory about Taking him your Explorer. Oh and if you need some one to tag along for the Ride to TN. I am There.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr
99 Mountaineer
Randall's truck spends more time in the Garage than the Trails... :)
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:57 pm

any news on your new set up...
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:24 pm

I will probably go with the West Texas setup, if for no other reason than to say that I have a redneck ram :)
What do you guys think about Gilmer the weekend after Vday 21-23?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:53 pm

I am Down for Gilmer.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:42 pm

I don't know if I can do Gilmer or not yet. I haven't had any time to get back to Houston to figure out what is wrong with the Ex yet. If I can get it repaired this weekend and get my schedule fixed I should be able to go. What is the plan? I assume it is to get there Friday night and run Sat and Sun.

No news really on the set up. There were shipping delays on the other end so the axle is sitting on the Forward Air dock until tomorrow or Friday. I'll have it late next week. I think I'm just going to gear it to 4.56 so that I can save money. With the auto it will still crawl fine when I put 37's on it after I wear out the 35's.
Michael B
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Michael
Demon Reverto

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:06 am

I think they want to go a little too soon. I didnt have time to ask off for that weekend. I was gonna go to Houston this Week some time I would check out your Explorer, but I be it is not at your moms house is it? I am sure it cant be too serious. plus I am hopeing to fix this Spindle and Hub situation this week as well.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Red Bull - Dana 44 Swap on the way

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:34 pm

I figured now was the time to go ahead and put a thread up about my axle swap. The axle build and fab work are being done by Texas Auto Gear, , here in Houston. The axle is a Dana 44 from a '75 bronco that has been slightly modified for my use. It was built with 4.56 gears, detroit locker, Warn axleshafts, CTM Ujoints, Jeep Wagoneer hy steer knuckles, and a bastardized Ford/Chevy brake setup. The completed axle is pictured below. They are currently doing the fab work for the install, which should be completed by Sat.

I'm sure I forgot some details, so feel free to ask. I'll happily answer questions about anything but cost. If you want to know what it cost, build it.

Those rims belong to someone else, but they look much better on my truck than his . I have the same tire and size rim being put together now to go on it.

There has been some delay in getting the truck finished. The supplier that was lined up for the orbital valve for the steering can't get it for another two weeks. We are currently trying to trackdown an orbital somewhere else. They are also going to rebuild the radius arms as they currently hang down too far and will be rock anchors.

But the bumper is done. That was a totally them thing. I told them I wanted the winch up high and tucked in, cut whatever you need to. That is what they came up with. It doesn't stick out any further than the stock bumper did and offers alot better approach angle. I am very happy with it.

The overall flex of the truck is pretty good. The rear is holding things back right now, but longer shocks are already here for it. The front still has travel left from those pictures. The truck is also rock steady in that position. I shoved on it an it didn't want to move at all. It is also only about 3/4 in taller than before with the superlift and 1 in spacer.

Thanks Randall for posting those pics. I'll get a lot more when it is done and home.

Check that link that Randall put up. It has the rest of the pics on it. I'll get more/better ones when I physically get the truck home. It is tough right now because the shop is an hour drive from me. I really have to plan to be on that side of town.

They built those mounts custom for the truck. It required modifiying the frame rail and the firewall/ floorboard on the driver side. They built them because the EB coil buckets I had were in too bad a shape to use, and this allows them to fine tune the suspenion hieght to keep the truck as low as possible.

Come down for the BBQ next weekend. It will hopefully be finished by then.
Michael B
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Michael
Demon Reverto

Re: Gilmer March 8-9

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:45 pm

Damn I need to hurry up and get my little Explorer up to TAG soon.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:53 pm

Here are a couple more pics. The rest are at

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby ExplorerSC » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:52 pm

Just curious, any more pics of your shock/coil mounts? Texas Auto Gear make the hoops? (In case you can't tell, I'm interested) :)
ExplorerSC

Postby Michael » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:28 am

Check that link that Randall put up. It has the rest of the pics on it. I'll get more/better ones when I physically get the truck home. It is tough right now because the shop is an hour drive from me. I really have to plan to be on that side of town.

They built those mounts custom for the truck. It required modifiying the frame rail and the firewall/ floorboard on the driver side. They built them because the EB coil buckets I had were in too bad a shape to use, and this allows them to fine tune the suspenion hieght to keep the truck as low as possible.

Come down for the BBQ next weekend. It will hopefully be finished by then.

EDIT: It's home. No real pics yet. I'll work on getting those tomorrow. It drives suprisingly well for full hydraulic steering, a little twitchy but I'll get used to it. Now for a teaser

Pics of it in action are coming. We were at Alto this weekend and it all worked pretty well. There are a few little things that need to be addressed, but that is to be expected. It also needs one new hub now :roll

The bumper is plenty stout and held up well to a severe side pull and a rather large tree this weekend. The winch is a HS 9500 high speed from warn. And unfortunately the beadlocks are not mine. They were on loan until I got my wheels mounted.

It'll be back in action for the upcoming Gilmer trip at the end of July.
Michael B
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Michael
Demon Reverto

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:55 am

Very bad ass, my friend!
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby ExplorerSC » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:22 am

Very nice! It looks really clean, they did a good job. I like the way the bumper came out. Now go get some wheeling pics of it!
ExplorerSC

Return to Demon Projects