[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 400: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - Welder Recommendations?

Welder Recommendations?

Tool and garage talk.

Welder Recommendations?

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:53 am

What welder would you guys recommend? I'm thinking I need to go ahead and upgrade my 110v Lincoln MIG welder for something that can handle all of the welding needs of a 4x4. (3/8" tick tube walls, up to 1/2" plate, etc.) I'm thinking one that is set up for gas, and 220v. I'm also leaning MIG, as that seems to be the most attainable skill set, haha.

Thanks for your recommendations.
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Re: Welder Recommendations?

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:55 pm

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:10 am

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TexasArmadillo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:38 am

I have always been a fan of the stick welder. It does require the welder to chip off the slag. However you can use a wide variety of sticks to weld different alloyes. This is the type of welder used in the pipe line industry. It can give a weld that penetrates deep in the metal.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby TexasArmadillo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Check out the above link. I am subscribed to this guys You Tube videos. He has a lot of neat insight on different welding styles.
TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:26 pm

I was working with an artist friend last night, and she swears that TIG is easier than MIG. I thought that was interesting.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TexasArmadillo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:38 pm

How to make a bumper with a welder you can buy from any home improvement store.
TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby TexasArmadillo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:43 pm

TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Sounds like good times all around.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TexasArmadillo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Extreme welding.
TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby mr. everyman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:00 am

Yo bro, I'm thinking about looking for a TIG welder (I like the extra control that my reason, in the lack of any actual experience, tells me I would get,) so if you are interested in getting a MIG we could definitely collaborate and share experiences. Or even if you don't we could definitely try out the TIG together too, I'm sure your wife could think of some project we could use it on for practice haha. I want to throw away all those old P.O.S. cabinets that Ma and Da have in the garage to clear it out and make it a usable work space, and I figure I could make amends (you know how mom is about throwing anything away) by making them some cool shelves for the walls and practice welding at the same time. I've read that the penetration is a little better with TIG which, in my mind at least, seems to make it more suited to structural use. Don't crucify me for that last statement if it's total crap team Demon, like I said, it was just something I read somewhere, and I'm sure an experienced welder can get good penetration whether it's MIG, TIG, Arc, or getting Lōc-ed after dark sans pants in the park.
About as close to unreality, as never being, ever was.
mr. everyman
Cowboy Crust Buster & Rule Bender

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:22 am

Lmao. Tig is supposedly harder to learn than mig, but other than that, collaborating sounds like a plan.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby 8am8am » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:48 am

Tig is a giant pain in the butt...it's not hard to learn, same principle as most welding. Getting the 'touch'...that's the hard part lots & lots & even lots more practice. I've got about 50hrs of tig, pretty much gave up...i was getting there, but just didn't have enough call for tig to keep going.....s'all a matter of practice...but most backyard projects mig & traditional arc is enough for me. Tig is the better weld once you 'get it', but I'm not a custom shop or producing tons of parts.....
8am8am

Return to Garage Time