[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 400: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - cb talk

cb talk

Tool and garage talk.

cb talk

Postby BigTim55 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:01 pm

ok so i'm gonna start looking at CBs soon and wanted to get some suggestions from yall before i buy something and it end of being total crap. what yall running and what kind of antenna? where do you have it mounted? i saw someone on a different board i'm on mount his antenna to his tire carrier... i thought that was a pretty good idea. :legion :upto
A 2WD stuck in a world of 4WD
"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

cb talk

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:18 pm

First, read this: viewtopic.php?t=2309#p17070

Then take a look at this:

KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Re: cb talk

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:16 pm

I currently have this UHF/VHF unit:

and this CB:

but plan to get the CB with SSB that I mentioned the first time.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby 8am8am » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:06 am

What Randall has said, but if you've read the thread; which I'll highly recommend aswell then you know my thoughts...

The new is my new minimal suggestion for a radio, antenna firestik; the tallest you can afford height wise, high quality coax (DON'T be cheap on coax), then a good tune in; at a cb shop.gets you into cb with respectable highway power, and a trumper offroad set up for less then 300, perhaps even less then 250.

first upgrade? Power mic

for typical users all this is more then enough to call it a day on. If not there's some stuff that can be done to the 980, but at a certain point you've gotta start balancing mod money vs why not buy an even better radio?

Now if money, and legality have no weight.....i can get you set up with some 1000 dollar radios that even the hammies have to respect....even if by force ;)
8am8am

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:27 am

Yeah, but if you're spending that much, might as well get a good ham and be legal, IMO.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby 8am8am » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:46 am

Hey I covered that view point.....far as why.....well if you don't get it, you don't get it.... ;) I'm betting apples to oranges Tim isn't looking to go that far just putting the info out there.....cuz dangit i gotta earn his favor hehehe.
8am8am

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:58 am

You have a lot of good points and I value your input, but on this I just fundamentally disagree. If the cost is the same, why willingly choose the illegal route? Just to skip out on an easy 35 question test? (One in which all the answers are readily available ahead of time.)
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby 8am8am » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:08 pm

Feelings are mutual bud....plz note a small bit of sarcasm in the above posts /\. I don't know Tim super well or ne-thing, but I don't think he's looking to go that far, just putting it out there....but made sure to point out you have to watch/balance cost vs better options.

Far as the age old debate you pose, us lowly cbers have never been able to eloquently present our side well enough for you hammies to understand..... It's pretty much just a cowboy with a big stick machismo thing.....If you get it; you get it, if not you don't. We'd be just as well off wrasslin about it as much as anything else.....

Oooooo Ooooo relevant example/comparison?

Having the gene/drive/willingness/need/want/desire to do such things to a CB; it's like building up explorers, nissans, and isuzus for offroading. Why not get a jeep, toyato, pinz, or duecr& eh 1/2 from the get go!? Cuz we're outcasts among outcasts, that not only like the road less traveled, we want the rig less driven, to travel that road. We're the underdogs that'll take the trucks written off as worthless by everyone else just to show'em up a time or two. Even if it means we can't buy bolt up parts, have to think for ourselves, dang near reinvent the wheel and all the headaches that go with it.

It's like that cept the legality issue, which honestly, we all know that was the gubmint fing over its ppl.

SO LADIES AND GENTLEMEN; BOYS AND GIRLS; MIKE AND PETE!

Gather the loved ones, batton down the hatches, and ready your medical practitioner! Hidden Falls Turkey Tumble 2014 ice down the beer, get your chocolate milk shook real good! Throw your chairs in the river; you won't need'em for all the excitement and gather round the squared circle. A once in a life time experience, a main event like no other. Watch as we pit

The minister of misery, from Missouri City...The ransacker of transmissions, demon4x's raging raider of doom RANGER DICK!

Head to head, toe to toe, beer gut to beer gut, in an all out sweat feast against

The seldom seen; menace of Texas; Bam Bam*

*popcorn will not be provided.
8am8am

Return to Garage Time