Back from Tellico

Trail descriptions existing outside our great state.

Back from Tellico

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:13 pm

Here are the pics.http://demon4x4.com/runs/tellico/tellico.htm

Michael, send me your pics and I'll get them up.
We sure missed you out there Kris, especially your swampers ;)

I am definately going to have some swampers before I go back out there. Also, I need to fix the ox, the cable won't fully engage the locker. What a disappointment. Other than that, it's time to go into fine tuning mode and free up some flex front and rear, and fix some minor issues like exhuast :rolleyes

Don't worry Kris, you won't be left out for long, cuz we're going back real soon. So get to work ;)
KF5ZXT
Blue Ribbon Coalition Lifetime Member

Sexy Evil ST wrote:Ok, I've got a new nickname for Randall... Ranger Dick!

Good, fast, cheap: pick any 2
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Re: Back from Tellico

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:07 pm

Damn that looked like a lot of fun. I would have not had fun at tellico this weekend anyway. With all the crap that is going on. Plus now with a possible law suit pending on the Transmission. Rick even Banned both Fox and asp84 till this gets resoved. I am just so angry.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr
99 Mountaineer
Randall's truck spends more time in the Garage than the Trails... :)
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:33 pm

Michael Where are your Pictures... I have been working on the X for three days straight just to get this thing running again.

The I have trimed the Driver side fender tranny is being rebuilt. God I hope to have it ready by October...
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:00 pm

Pics are up...finally. My apologies for the delay, I still am not feeling 100%. I finally broke down and went to the doctor, but I think that the cure may be worse than the disease.

[url="http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={D9DAE203-6037-4AB3-A7FF-41CF0936B370}]Pics.[/url]
Michael B
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Michael
Demon Reverto

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:16 am

Tellico closed. :cry

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
208-244-2112
Jay Bird, Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
757-546-7969

Conservation groups dedicated to active and sustainable management of the Upper Tellico OHV Area expressed deep disappointment with the U.S. Forest Service decision to permanently close the Tellico trails. The decision, which follows an earlier "temporary" closure, was announced in documents published by the USFS yesterday morning.

Gary Parsons, President of the Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, reacted by saying, "The Forest Service is simply wrong in this decision. This public agency has ignored an independent study by Caliber Engineering and the recommendations of its own Trails Unlimited Team, which demonstrated effective management is attainable and offered specific suggestions to achieve that goal."

The agency announcement by Forest Supervisor Marisue Hilliard again parroted the water quality issues long favored by preservationist special interests as the excuse for closure. Jay Bird, Chairman of the Rescue Tellico Committee, noted, "The Tellico River is in excellent shape and complies with all legal requirements. Only through blatant modification of proper methodology, such as measuring turbidity levels during peak runoff, can the Forest Service claim there is legal basis to take any action, let alone closure."

"Sadly, we are not surprised. It now appears the Forest Service knew it would close the Area years ago, and undertook the intervening 'public process' to justify a decision already made," said Greg Mumm, Executive Director of the BlueRibbon Coalition. "We are sorely disappointed that the Forest Service has determined it cannot effectively manage the Upper Tellico OHV Area that users have supported with millions of dollars in fees and thousands of hours of volunteer labor. With our recreational partners, we will evaluate all options that may change that determination."

# # #

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible use of public and private lands, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. It represents over 10,000 individual members and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of over 600,000 recreationists nationwide. 1-800-258-3742. www.sharetrails.org <http://www.sharetrails.org>

United Four Wheel Drive Associations is an international organization comprised of four wheel drive enthusiasts, clubs, associations, and businesses dedicated to providing community services around the world, education in responsible land use and safe vehicle operation, and protection of our natural resources through conservation practices. 1-800-448-3932. www.ufwda.org <http://www.ufwda.org>

Southern Four Wheel Drive Association (SFWDA) was founded in 1987 to promote responsible land use and to keep public lands accessible for motorized recreation. For more information on the activities and accomplishments of Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, please visit www.sfwda.org <http://www.sfwda.org> or contact us at 1483 N. Mt. Juliet Road, PMB # 222, Mt. Juliet, TN 37122
KF5ZXT

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:31 am

sad news indeed... :(
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Tellico Re-opening!

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Found this on EF: Tellico Reopening!!!!

OffTrac wrote:I got this email from Durhamtown yesterday::bounce:

Official Press Release for Durhamtown Tellico

On October 25th, 26th and 27th there will be a limited Inaugural ride at the new Durhamtown Tellico Park located in Murphy NC which is approximately 2 hours north of Atlanta.

About the Park
Durhamtown has partnered with landowners whose property adjoins the Original Tellico ORV and includes some of the private trails that were above the original ORV Park known as upper Tellico.

The facility will be managed, organized, and will not be a free for all riding park like the original ORV Park was operated. The disorganization resulted in the Park being closed by government officials due to damage of the natural ecosystems. All riders must stay on designated trails and these rules will be strictly enforced. Currently, there are approximated 4000 acres of mountainous trails and rock climbing.

Many trails will be 2-way, used with caution, and not a high speed facility! The areas consist of over 40 miles of existing trails. More are being added as the leaves fall to expose many old logging trails with many challenges. There are waterfalls and many mountain tops with 270 degree panoramic views. We have a 50 acre area that was clear cut 4 years ago with access to some very large and promising challenges including many large rock faces. The locals have called it:
“School Bus’s Granddaddy” For those of you that don’t know; School Bus is famously known Rock Crawl.

This area has many boulders ready to climb and more will be cleared when the leaves fall and we can see them more clearly. There is a 13 mile trail that travels along the ridge tops that begin on the main tract and end at Tellico’s old trail # 4. This trail is one of the most exciting trails I have ridden in a Side by Side.

This property consists of some of the most spectacular scenery in the Southeast and has been managed for 15 years as a trophy trout destination. We will continue to maintain the standards as planned. There are 5 trout ponds and 4 miles of managed streams; with one stream designated as a catch and release only for 18”-26” Rainbow Trout.

Camping is permitted in designated areas along the streams at no charge for the Inaugural Ride Weekend. Camping is Primitive with: No power, fresh water in the streams and a port a potty will be onsite for Campers.

We will be enhancing the camping sites over the next few months and fees will be charged for Camping at that time.

The closest lodging is in Murphy at Motels but those needing reservations should call immediately due to prime leaf turning season in the area.
The Inaugural Ride Info and Reservation
The inaugural Ride:
For this event we are limited and all of those that interested in participating will need to contact Mike directly.
Reservations Contact:
Mike McCommons
The best way is by emailing Mike with “Tellico” as the subject line to: mikemc@durhamtown.com or you may call him at the office 706-486-4603 or 706-486-4664

For the 1st ride, only a small group of riders will be permitted, to show the land owner we can ride respectfully on his land and continue to enjoy it by not throwing trash on his property and staying on designated trails. We are looking forward to many years of developing one of the best off road destinations on the east coast.

Cost for this 3 day ride is: Paid by Credit Card in Advance (1st Come, 1st Serve)
$50 per registered Rider
$10 for any passenger or guest

Once registered, you will get a confirmation, info, and directions etc. We will provide maps on site at our designated meeting point.
Looking forward to seeing you there!

Mike McCommons
Durhamtown
KF5ZXT

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 pm

This is great news that's will have to be a must do on the demon list
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 am

Hell yeah, that was a fun place. It would be nice to go back there. It's also only a little over half the drivetime as compared to Moab.
KF5ZXT

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Return to Other Trail Descriptions