Obama Names REI Executive to Interior Sec.

Information on land access, and the groups that support keeping our trails open.

Obama Names REI Executive to Interior Sec.

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 pm

More great news from Obama camp. :shaking

Dear Trail Voter,

TPAC wants to share this breaking "trail news" regarding President Obama's naming of Sally Jewell as the Secretary of the Interior (see Washington Post article below).

Washington Post Article on Sally Jewell at New Interior Sec.

Sally Jewell has been associated with two very active anti-OHV entities. Those include the National Park Conservation Association (NPCA) where she has served as a board member since 2004 and REI where she serves as their CEO.

The NPCA has been very active in the legal arena where they have filed at least one lawsuit to ban or severely restrict ATV use at Big Cypress National Preserve in Florida.

REI has corporately aligned itself with the non-motorized Wilderness agenda of groups such as the Sierra Club, the Wilderness Society, and the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance. Like NPCA, those groups are actively engaged in lawsuits to ban or restrict OHV recreation on public lands.

However last summer, Jewell as part of an outdoor industry coalition - which included representatives from the powersports industry - helped launch the Western Governor's Association's report on the economic impact of outdoor recreation.

June 2012 Outdoor Recreation Report

TPAC will be watching the senate confirmation hearings to see if she indicates a willingness to continue working in a collaborative manner with both motorized and non-motorized recreationists or if she will use her new position to support the anti-OHV agenda of the groups she has been associated with.

Best regards,

Don

The TrailPAC
www.thetrailpac.com
KF5ZXT
Blue Ribbon Coalition Lifetime Member

Sexy Evil ST wrote:Ok, I've got a new nickname for Randall... Ranger Dick!

Good, fast, cheap: pick any 2
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Re: Obama Names REI Executive to Interior Sec.

Postby TxPlates » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Surprise!

Sent from my iPhone 5 bitch using Tapatalk
Sexy Evil ST wrote:Shouldn't you actually offroad a truck to belong to those organizations? :finger :finger :finger
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby BigTim55 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Fuckin oBUMa ruining everything. I've never shopped at rei and now I never will. I don't understand the hate on the offroad community

Sent from Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters
A 2WD stuck in a world of 4WD
"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:28 pm

There are a lot of god damned dirty loud hippies out there, trying to take all the fun out.
KF5ZXT

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Triple E wrote:There are a lot of god damned dirty loud hippies out there, trying to take all the fun out.

Fuckin hippies

A 2WD stuck in a world of 4WD
"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby TxPlates » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:04 pm

BigTim55 wrote:
Triple E wrote:There are a lot of god damned dirty loud hippies out there, trying to take all the fun out.

Fuckin hippies

Seconded

Sent from my iPhone 5 bitch using Tapatalk
Sexy Evil ST wrote:Shouldn't you actually offroad a truck to belong to those organizations? :finger :finger :finger
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:15 pm

BLUERIBBON COALITION, INC.
MEDIA RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Phone: (208) 244-2112
Email: brgreg@sharetrails.org
Date: February 7, 2013

Obama's pick to be the new Secretary of the Interior presents both challenges and opportunities for the OHV community.
POCATELLO, ID (February 7, 2013) -- President Barack Obama announced yesterday his choice of Sally Jewell to replace outgoing Interior Secretary Ken Salazar. Jewell is the current CEO of Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI). She is described in the media as a former oil engineer, commercial banker and a pragmatic business leader who will "work with both parties and interest groups on all sides."

Greg Mumm, BRC's Executive Director, said he hoped Jewell's appointment would translate into expanding a diverse range of recreational pursuits on public lands and National Parks. "There needs to be a focus for providing both motorized and non-motorized uses. Recent management plans have closed nearly 50% of the roads and trails open for motorized recreation. There is a need for a better balance." Mumm notes any loss of motorized recreation on public lands locks out Americans who choose or are required to use OHVs for recreation, and fails to take advantage of the economic benefits of sustainable OHV and snowmobile use.

But Jewell's nomination comes with questions for the OHV and snowmobile community. One concern is the anti-OHV activism that has been a hallmark of both REI and the National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA), where Jewell serves as a board member. REI has long supported anti-access groups such as the Sierra Club and the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance. The NPCA has been at the forefront of many anti-OHV and OSV lawsuits at such places as Denali National Park and Preserve in Alaska, Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming and Big Cypress National Preserve in Florida.

On the other hand, Jewell's private sector ties hopefully reflect her understanding of recreation's unique place and potential importance to rural tourism and local economies. "We hope that, in her first role as a public servant, we see Sally Jewell balancing her personal predisposition to non-motorized recreation with legally supportable and just-as-popular forms of motorized recreation on both Park and non-Park lands," Mumm concluded.
KF5ZXT

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:47 pm

We might as well move to Mexico and see what the drug lords think about us offroading on their land. Yes I know, outlandish. Same shit our govt is doing here.
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Return to Land Use