Save The Hammers in Johnson Valley

Information on land access, and the groups that support keeping our trails open.

Re: Donate to save the Hammers in Johnson Valley.

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Thank you kindly.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk 2
KF5ZXT
Blue Ribbon Coalition Lifetime Member

Sexy Evil ST wrote:Ok, I've got a new nickname for Randall... Ranger Dick!

Good, fast, cheap: pick any 2
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:06 am

http://www.orba.biz/the-california-motorized-recreation-council-and-the-save-the-hammers-sub-committee-keep-up-the-pressure-to-keep-johnson-valley-open/?utm_source=July+2013+newsletter&utm_campaign=July+Orba&utm_medium=email

The California Motorized Recreation Council and the Save The Hammers Sub Committee keep up the pressure to Keep Johnson Valley Open.

The CMRC Save The Hammers Sub-committee will continue to fight all the way to the finish line to save the largest OHV area in the United States, and set precedence in the creation of the first nationally protected OHV area on the heels of victory in the United States House of Representatives. The group now sets its sights on the last remaining battle to finish the nearly seven-year fight to save the popular OHV area.

The United States marine Corps has re-established its offensive posturing to incorporate Johnson Valley OHV area into the Twenty nine Palms Marine Base hoping the United States Senate will strike down the House language. “Our final work falls squarely in explaining Congressman Cooks solution to the Senators.” Said Jeff Knoll Save the Hammers Chairman. OHV enthusiasts from across the United States and beyond have worked hard to keep this area open, and will continue working hard leading up to the Senates decision on the bill. “We have a very unified group of people” Knoll continued, “I think we are even stronger today than we have been in past months, with additional groups coming onboard. Mark up for the NDAA is expected in the Senate in Early September. In addition the group is preparing an all-inclusive financial report, which is expected to demonstrate what the battle has cost the OHV industry in an effort to emulate the success the united effort has yield.
KF5ZXT

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:49 am

RockHoe wrote:I got this return letter today from my congressman Ken Calvert. I just thought I would pass it on to those who are interested. Its a response email to request for his support in maintaining access to JV.

Thank you for contacting me about the proposed expansion of the Marine Air Ground Task Force Training Command (MAGTFT)/Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center (MCAGCC) at Twentynine Palms, California.

I share your concerns about impacts to recreational areas. I believe that the military should work to strike a balance between meeting their needs – which are vital to our military's readiness – and respecting the recreational tradition of the area. You will be pleased to know that the fiscal year 2014 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) included a provision that allows the Marines to have access to the adjoining Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Recreation Area for up to 60 days a year for training exercises, but the OHV area would be otherwise preserved for recreational use.

The provision also establishes the "Johnson Valley National Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area" under continued management by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM). It provides for public participation in determining the dates for military activities that will be the least disruptive for OHV activities.

The NDAA (H.R. 1960) passed the House with my support on June 14, 2013. The Senate has yet to consider either the House version of the bill or the Senate version. Rest assured, I will keep your support of the Johnson Valley OHV Recreation Area in mind as the NDAA makes its way to final passage.

Once again, thank you for your correspondence. I hope you will continue to contact me regarding issues of importance to you and your family. In the meantime, I encourage you to visit my website at U.S. Congressman Ken Calvert of California's 42nd District and sign up for my weekly e-newsletters. For urgent updates on critical issues, follow me on Twitter (@KenCalvert) and check out my Facebook page (Congressman Ken Calvert).

Sincerely,

KEN CALVERT

Member of Congress

Looks like the Senate is still sitting on their hands with regards to this one. Original post was dated 08/13/13.

Johnson Valley Update - Local Communities Support Keeping Johnson Valley (aka "the Hammers) open for OHV use

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

On Tuesday, August 13, the Twenty nine Palms City Council voted unanimously to support the Johnson Valley National Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area. This plan was authored by Congressman Paul Cook. BRC believes this signals a growing trend by local government to take an active role in supporting 21st Century comprehensive land use bills.

Check it out:
29 Palms City Council backs recreation area bill
http://www.hidesertstar.com/the_desert_trail/news/article.html

TWENTYNINE PALMS — Rep. Paul Cook’s plan to create the Johnson Valley National Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Recreation Area picked up new support Tuesday night, Aug. 13, when the Twentynine Palms City Council unanimously passed a resolution supporting the plan.

According to the resolution, “such a loss of land for recreation would be a catastrophic loss for a region that relies so heavily on tourism and recreation business.”

The city of Twentynine Palms joins a growing numbers of localities who have voiced their support for the measure. Among those passing resolutions in support of Rep. Cook’s proposal include the following:

The San Bernardino board of supervisors, the town of Apple Valley, the city of Hesperia, the town of Yucca Valley, San Bernardino Associated Governments, and the Homestead Valley Community Council.

Originally introduced earlier this year as a stand-alone bill, the legislation passed the House of Representatives as part of the NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act). The Senate will consider it this fall.

“I’m pleased to have the unanimous support of the City Council of Twentynine Palms. Given the proximity of Twentynine Palms to Johnson Valley, their support is particularly important. I’ve always felt that my proposal mirrors the opinion of people in the high desert, and this is just the latest example of a local community standing up for public access and use of the land. Johnson Valley is one of the few areas left for off-highway vehicle recreation, and we need to ensure not only that it’s protected, but also that people can use the area safely,” Cook said.

Cook’s proposal would withdraw the Johnson Valley OHV area for the purposes of recreation and designate it as the Johnson Valley National OHV Recreation Area. The withdrawn area would be designated specifically for recreational uses, including but not limited to off-highway vehicle use, camping, and hiking. U.S. Marine Corps activities would be permitted to take place twice annually and could not include any explosives that could be left behind without detonating.

Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:41 am | Updated: 8:36 pm, Fri Aug 16, 2013.

BRC believes that support from local elected officials is a critical component of new congressional land-use designations. Top down federal land designations that emanate in Washington, DC. With little or no support or input from affected governments and the grassroots are doomed to failure on a number of fronts.

Learn more about efforts to save Johnson Valley at the Save the Hammers.org website here: http://savethehammers.org/sth/

Thanks in advance and, as always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact BRC.

Don Amador
Western Representative
BlueRibbon Coalition
KF5ZXT

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Re: Save The Hammers in Johnson Valley

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:15 am

Tbars4 wrote:..I just received this from Dave Cole...

..It's time to start making phone calls and writing letters..Here is the link and there are links to PDF letter's for Senator Dianne Feinstein and for "Talking points to use in your phone calls and emails"..
http://ultra4racing.com/featured/the-hammers-needs-your-help-today/

Quote:
Friends,

I will try to be brief as I know we are all very sniffing glue. The process to save our public land has been moving through the Political Machine. We have tried hard to keep from ‘crying wolf’ and calling for action like this too often. Now is the time.

Congressman Paul Cook introduced legislation that met the Marine Corps Training needs and retained public access to the entirety of Johnson Valley. It was a modified version of the Marine Corps Alternative Four and the result will be The Johnson Valley National OHV Area. It went unopposed in the House of Representatives and is now part of the National Defense Authorization Act awaiting confirmation by the Senate.

Senator Dianne Feinstein is considering re-submitting Alternative Six through the Senate Arms Committee. This will take away the majority of Johnson Valley forever.

It is time to have our voices heard.
There may be other similar opportunities in the near future to support this cause. We are in the final weeks of this process. Please take the time to act.

Call and write to Senator Dianne Feinstein urging her to support the existing Alternative Four (also known as the Cook/McKeon Compromise) and DO NOT offer a conflicting proposal.

State Office: (415) 393-0707

Washington Office: (202) 224-3841

LA Office: (310) 914-7300

San Diego Office: (619) 231-9712

Fresno Office: (559) 485-7430

Email Link https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pub....cfm/e-mail-me

Below are links to both talking points and the letter that I submitted. Please use your own words. We, as a group, made a difference before, we will again. Without your letter, we could lose this fight. Save the text you send her in your email as we may look to resubmit that in printed form as well (more on that later).

Link to my letter to Senator Feinstein

Link to talking points to use in your phone calls and emails

This is not just about off-roading. We are supporting our neighbors in the High Desert Area. Every surrounding town council joined the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors and Congressmen Cook, McCarthy, and McKeon in opposing Alternative Six.

Thank you for your time, please share this with anyone and everyone. In the near future we may be asking to reach out to other politicians so stay tuned and together we WILL be heard. Contact Senator Feinstein TODAY. Urge her to support the Cook/Mckeon compromise (also known as Alternative 4).

Sincerest Regards,

Dave Cole
on behalf of the California Motorized Recreation Council

Just when we think progress is being made. I urge you all to go out and call/email when you can.

Text from the talking points:

Talking Points for
Senator Feinstein
State Office: (415) 393-0707
Washington Office: (202) 224-3841

I am calling to express my views on land acquisition by the Marine Corps in the Johnson Valley Recreation area.
Use of the recreation area by off road vehicle activities brings $71.5 million into the local economy and a much larger number into the State and national economies by BLM estimates.

Marine Corps insistence on their option 6 without a suitable compromise will severely curtail the use of this land for off road recreation and will likely put at risk the annual Hammers event which enjoys worldwide participation. That would cripple the local economy.

Congressman Paul Cook, a combat veteran Marine who served as the Inspector General at 29 Palms and knows it well, has proposed an alternative for co-use that would allow everyone to retain some equity in use of this land. This proposal enjoys the support of the surrounding communities and was supported by the entire House of Representatives.

The Marine Corps position that this compromise would destroy their readiness is not supportable on several levels:
o They have been at war for 10 years with the MEB level training requirement in place and without the expansion and their readiness for war has been sustained.
o Their most recent (26 Feb 2013) USMC training order 3502.2 states on pg. 6 how MEB level exercises will be successfully conducted and readiness sustained during the period before 29 Palms land expansion is complete.
Recently the Governor’s office sent out a letter to the entire California delegation supporting the Marine Corps acquisition. This letter is flawed in two important ways:
o The author and primary push behind the letter should have been recused – he is a retired 2 star Marine who worked the issue in the Marine Corps and has an interest in its outcome.
o Only the Marine Corps was asked to present information – none of the off road community was invited or allowed input.
o The process was not in the sunshine, yet is an output of a public council.

Senator Feinstein’s laudable and sustained interest in protecting desert wilderness is put out of balance by the Marine Corps insistence in no compromise. If the off road community loses substantial access as proposed, it will have to pressure the state to open more wilderness for off road use. The very reason Johnson Valley was designated as an off road recreation area was to protect other wilderness. Under the Marine Corps option of no shared use in the largest chunk of this recreation area, others would have to be found and opened or the State will have to suffer the devastating loss to the economy.
We urge the Senator to support a viable compromise like the Cook proposal. We will be very disappointed if she does not. Please pass this to her.
KF5ZXT

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TexasArmadillo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Feinstein should support this since she just pushed through legislation to build a dam in Kentucky.

Juggling more fur balls than a constipated cat.
TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:47 pm

Save The Hammers Immediate Action Needed – 11/13/13

OHV Call to Action! Your Immediate Action is required to Save Johnson Valley Weds November 13th 2013

The Senate Arms Service Committee now looks prepared to move their bill S1309 to the floor beginning Thursday with Senator McCain managing (Senator Inhofe is out for his son’s funeral).

It is time again for the OHV Community to engage in the discussion.

Please consider taking some time to participate and extend our reach to your friends, family, and networks that find the value in saving the largest OHV area in the United States, while meeting the training requirements of the USMC. Your participation is paramount to our continued success.

While the Marine Corps let the Cook/Mckeon Compromise go unchallenged in the House of Representatives, we believe they will introduce their Alternative 6 language through Energy and Resources Committee on the Senate side via S 1309. We must contact these individual members of the Senate to ask them to oppose such language.

START MAKING THE PHONES RING

1.) All Organized OHV Associations Leadership must call Sen. Feinstein, Sen. Levin, Sen. McCain. Be prepared to tell them how many members you represent. Activate your Membership!

2.) Home and property owners in the Johnson Valley must call the San Bernardino Board of Supervisors, and Senator Feinstein.

3.) Individual OHV Enthusiasts Make the Phones Ring!

The Time Is Now

Messages for call in:

 Stop the Marine Corps land acquisition in Johnson Valley.

 Livefire and the potential for unexploded ordnance in the proximity of recreation lands and within a mile of dozens of homes is insane.

 Approve the House position – a compromise that lets the Marines use the extra land but maneuvering away from the recreation area and without dud-producing live fire

Key talking points:

You are Asking for them to do the following: Do NOT include the Johnson Valley Land Transfer in S. 1309 and definitely do NOT include it in the Senate version of the NDAA

-The Johnson Valley Land Transfer in S 1309 is EXTREMELY controversial. It certainly should not be considered together with other relatively uncontroversial land transfer bills.

-The Marine Corps has never reached out in any meaningful way to the local community on this issue. That’s why all four surrounding cities (Twentynine Palms, Yucca Valley, Apple Valley, and Hesperia) have passed unanimous resolutions opposing the expansion, as has the County of San Bernardino.

-The House NDAA has compromise language that would allow the Marine Corps to conduct training in the Johnson Valley 60 days a year, while still allowing recreational use the rest of the year. San Bernardino County, all local governments, and the overwhelming majority of local residents support this compromise.

-The Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center at Twentynine Palms has already been plagued with intrusions on to base and has even had issues with scrappers crossing on to base and taking unexploded ordinance. By dropping live bombs in the Johnson Valley (a heavily recreated area), it will only be a matter of time before a family is killed by a dud bomb during an inadvertent intrusion on to base land.

As always, be courteous and take your time getting your point across. It is likely the staffers you are speaking to have no idea what or where Johnson Valley is. Make a good impression!

This is happening today or tomorrow, so your calls are really important. We are making a difference. Now is the time to push harder.

Phone numbers that matter:

 Sen. Feinstein – 202-224-3841

 Chairman Carl Levin (SASC) – 202-224-6221

 Sen. John McCain – 202-224-2235

 Chm. Ron Wyden 202-224-5244

 Sen. Lisa Murkowski – 202-224-6665

Some of you really like bitching at people on the phone. Make it happen. :lol
KF5ZXT

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TexasArmadillo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:29 am

Tell Finestein if she can support a dam in Kentucky she can support this.

Juggling more fur balls than a constipated cat.
TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby BigTim55 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:19 am

Triple E wrote:Save The Hammers Immediate Action Needed – 11/13/13

OHV Call to Action! Your Immediate Action is required to Save Johnson Valley Weds November 13th 2013

The Senate Arms Service Committee now looks prepared to move their bill S1309 to the floor beginning Thursday with Senator McCain managing (Senator Inhofe is out for his son’s funeral).

It is time again for the OHV Community to engage in the discussion.

Please consider taking some time to participate and extend our reach to your friends, family, and networks that find the value in saving the largest OHV area in the United States, while meeting the training requirements of the USMC. Your participation is paramount to our continued success.

While the Marine Corps let the Cook/Mckeon Compromise go unchallenged in the House of Representatives, we believe they will introduce their Alternative 6 language through Energy and Resources Committee on the Senate side via S 1309. We must contact these individual members of the Senate to ask them to oppose such language.

START MAKING THE PHONES RING

1.) All Organized OHV Associations Leadership must call Sen. Feinstein, Sen. Levin, Sen. McCain. Be prepared to tell them how many members you represent. Activate your Membership!

2.) Home and property owners in the Johnson Valley must call the San Bernardino Board of Supervisors, and Senator Feinstein.

3.) Individual OHV Enthusiasts Make the Phones Ring!

The Time Is Now

Messages for call in:

 Stop the Marine Corps land acquisition in Johnson Valley.

 Livefire and the potential for unexploded ordnance in the proximity of recreation lands and within a mile of dozens of homes is insane.

 Approve the House position – a compromise that lets the Marines use the extra land but maneuvering away from the recreation area and without dud-producing live fire

Key talking points:

You are Asking for them to do the following: Do NOT include the Johnson Valley Land Transfer in S. 1309 and definitely do NOT include it in the Senate version of the NDAA

-The Johnson Valley Land Transfer in S 1309 is EXTREMELY controversial. It certainly should not be considered together with other relatively uncontroversial land transfer bills.

-The Marine Corps has never reached out in any meaningful way to the local community on this issue. That’s why all four surrounding cities (Twentynine Palms, Yucca Valley, Apple Valley, and Hesperia) have passed unanimous resolutions opposing the expansion, as has the County of San Bernardino.

-The House NDAA has compromise language that would allow the Marine Corps to conduct training in the Johnson Valley 60 days a year, while still allowing recreational use the rest of the year. San Bernardino County, all local governments, and the overwhelming majority of local residents support this compromise.

-The Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center at Twentynine Palms has already been plagued with intrusions on to base and has even had issues with scrappers crossing on to base and taking unexploded ordinance. By dropping live bombs in the Johnson Valley (a heavily recreated area), it will only be a matter of time before a family is killed by a dud bomb during an inadvertent intrusion on to base land.

As always, be courteous and take your time getting your point across. It is likely the staffers you are speaking to have no idea what or where Johnson Valley is. Make a good impression!

This is happening today or tomorrow, so your calls are really important. We are making a difference. Now is the time to push harder.

Phone numbers that matter:

 Sen. Feinstein – 202-224-3841

 Chairman Carl Levin (SASC) – 202-224-6221

 Sen. John McCain – 202-224-2235

 Chm. Ron Wyden 202-224-5244

 Sen. Lisa Murkowski – 202-224-6665

Some of you really like bitching at people on the phone. Make it happen. :lol

Parker I think he's talking about you lol

sent from where the whores go
A 2WD stuck in a world of 4WD
"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby TxPlates » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:30 am

sent from where the male whores go

He probably is, but I got out of that game after the Audi incident as everyone made fun of me.
Sexy Evil ST wrote:Shouldn't you actually offroad a truck to belong to those organizations? :finger :finger :finger
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby BigTim55 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:03 am

TxPlates wrote:

He probably is, but I got out of that game after the Audi incident as everyone made fun of me.

Lol dont quit! You were gonna make the hall of fame!

"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:19 am

What he said. And besides, we'll make fun of you regardless. :lol
KF5ZXT

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Triple E wrote:What he said. And besides, we'll make fun of you regardless. :lol

It is known

BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby TxPlates » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:42 pm

BigTim55 wrote:It is known

What is?
Sexy Evil ST wrote:Shouldn't you actually offroad a truck to belong to those organizations? :finger :finger :finger
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:10 pm

CALIFORNIA - New Deal for Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle Area

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

A new deal has been achieved for the Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle Area thanks to the efforts of thousands of supporters, the California Motorized Recreation Council (CMRC), many groups and clubs, and particularly, Rep. Paul Cook (Calif. 8th District). It took 5 years of sweat, work, letters and persistence to prevent the 29 Palms Marine Base expansion from taking over all of Johnson Valley and The Hammers. The deal is a compromise with the Marines; but a win compared to other alternatives.

If you've ever wondered why it's important to vote for politicians who support our side of things, this should permanently convince you of the value of just that.
Here is the link to Congressman Cook's press release for more info: LINK

Thanks in advance and, as always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact BRC.

Del Albright
Director of Operations
BlueRibbon Coalition
brdel@sharetrails.org
KF5ZXT

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby AgPete139 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:41 am

Love that post.
AgPete139
Legion Member
Legion Member

Johnson Valley, The Long and Winding Road.

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:30 am

Johnson Valley, The Long and Winding Road.

By Jeff On February 9, 2014 · Add Comment · In ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION

By Fred Wiley

In the days leading up to the annual King of the Hammers you can have a conversation across Means dry lakebed at surprising distance. It is amazingly quiet when the Marines are not training, a racecar or motorcycle is not running across the miles of open area trails, and the wind is not blowing. The solitude of Johnson Valley changes to excitement when almost 50,000 enthusiasts from around the globe descend on the area now known as Hammertown.

Five years ago when the US Navy submitted a “Withdrawal” for training purposes, the King of the Hammers was just growing legs and developing into one of the premier OHV events in the United States. The thought that the OHV industry would lose the area was not taken lightly. Knowing a lawsuit would not be the best course of action the industry decided to fight in a new way.

With over 23,000 written comments, dozens of public meetings, and over 30,000 petitions to the President of the United States the stage was set for motorized recreation to defend the largest OHV open area in the USA. At the same time we organized Save the Hammers, hired an advocate group in Washington DC and began intense fundraising with OHV Businesses providing the majority of funding. Testimony was provided to congress and meetings with congressional Armed Services Committee leadership and their staff was incorporated as an important part of this process. Some relationships developed with Congressional leadership were derailed by an election, as we lost two allies proving the OHV community needs to continuously engage in the process.

The end result is in the 2014 National Defense Authorization Act. The new law is a win for most everyone. Providing the first Congressionally designated OHV are in the United States, and at the same time outlining the “Shared Use Area” while providing for the necessary area to meet the goal of the Marine Corps. Don’t get me wrong there were some valuable areas that we were unable to retain. Those areas will be addressed in the management phase.

JTTaylor KOH 2012

The new NDAA was clear about the how Military, the BLM and the stakeholders will manage the “Shared Area” ORBA, CMRC and the new partners the Marines as well as the BLM will be guiding the process under the law. CMRC will be working directly with a local group of stakeholders, the Friends of Johnson Valley to insure the continued voice of the recreating public into future plans for Johnson Valley. While this chapter comes to an end, the story will continue to unfold for Johnson Valley over the coming years, and those that love this area will need to stay engaged to guarantee the area continues to offer well-balanced use.
KF5ZXT

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Previous

Return to Land Use