[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - 4 Wheel Hydraulic Parking Brake

4 Wheel Hydraulic Parking Brake

FINISHED modifications and how-tos.

4 Wheel Hydraulic Parking Brake

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:30 pm

I decided to affix my emergency brake pedal to something now that my rear axle doesn't have the emergency brake components in it.

First off I can't take credit for this - TBItoy posted this idea with his Toyota in a 'Cheap Mod' thread on the Pirate board.

1. Used a sharpie to mark the bottom arc of the vacuum booster

2. Then removed the booster.

3. Disconnect the parking brake cable down the line from the pedal. In my case, this was at the junction pictured below, which was close to right underneath the driver's seat on the frame rail.

4. I used a digital caliper to measure the clip at the end of the cable sheath, which mine measured out to .515"

5. I then used a 9/16 stepped drill bit to drill a hole through the firewall, just below the location that I had previously marked as the bottom of the vacuum booster.

6. Wrap remaining length of cable back into the engine bay and force the clip into the hole. It clicked right in.

Now the rest of the cable lines up with the brake pedal.

7. Affix the ball end of the cable to your brake pedal. I used baling wire as a temporary until I make a bracket of sorts.

Now when you press the emergency brake, the hydraulic brake system is engaged.

There are a couple of flaws with this, for example, this activates your brake lights, so I wouldn't use it long term. I'm sure some wiring genius could figure out how to use the emergency parking brake switch to turn the brakes lights off. Also, since this uses your hydraulic brake system, it obviously has no use as an 'emergency' brake in the event that your regular brakes fail. But it's still better than no parking brake at all!
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Return to Tech Articles