[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 400: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - CB vs. VHF

CB vs. VHF

General Discussion, generally referring to vehicles or wheeling.

Re: CB vs. VHF

Postby BigTim55 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:38 pm

There you go thinking again

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
A 2WD stuck in a world of 4WD
"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby 8am8am » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:07 am

Might I suggest everyone upping to single side band radios? Usb/lsb cb in short is just further fine tuning of the standard open am cb, but makes a huge difference in receive and broadcast. A license isn't required, and it's only a flick of a switch to go back to standard am so ppl with regular cbs aren't necessarily excluded, it would just retard the group to include them.... Typically all you'd have to do if you already have a cb is buy one that's ssb and re tune....and as always look at anything you can do to improve your current setup. The biggest most exposed antennas will always win etc....

just a thought for your consideration/research as I think it'd be easier for most to make this switch then go full out ham....or are you guys already using ssb I dunno.

Otherwise since the idea was posed there's a legality matter of ham and cb radios in one. Cb is legally limited to 4watts so running one up to handle ham is illegal, but a ham can be ran down low enough to do cb. Its hazy Grey areas with the fcc and blah blah blah.

I like ham, but it can be too exclusive and a minor hassle for too many to get into it. CB is open to everyone and more limited in range, ssb is a good compromise. Longer range (still limited by terrain, but not as badly), exclusive and inclusive at the same time.....All it takes is a good enough radio that has ssb operation, but most ppl don't opt for it...
8am8am

CB vs. VHF

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:30 am

Interesting info, thanks for posting. I was planning on keeping the CB radio in addition to adding the VHF, to make sure I could still communicate with everyone. Sounds like the CB with HF/SSB combo would be a good replacement for it. Do you have any examples of the HF/SSB radios? For reference, .

As far as licensing goes, I intend to do a little more research, as I believe that people are getting around it by using 'race radios.' Although, the tests don't seem that hard for just the Technician level license, and are usually only about $15 to take.

Also, a link to a HAM radio setup for under $40:
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

CB vs. VHF

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:40 am

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby 8am8am » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:59 am

One of the best new out of the box imo is this guy.

http://www.walcottcb.com/galaxy-dx2547- ... p-780.html

but he's a hybrid base/mobile unit so he winds up being a little bulky for most ppl. He's also towards the top end of the scale on what ppl wanna spend i think.

uniden also just brought back the 'bearcat' moniker and the 980 can be had with ssb. Tho he can be found much cheaper then below.... i got to fiddle with this guy at a demo not too long ago and I must say in ssb, this was the most impressive out of the box experience I've ever had. Buuuuuut, in open a.m. much and I do mean MUCH is to be desired. A far superior mic would be the 1st improvment, a power mic even better(in open am), but a power mic is defeating of the point of ssb. So a wash.....now typically as good as the ssb was I'd still jump all over this thing....Then came my research and it would seem uniden isn't even willing to stiff the fcc legal line with their new radios. Everything is set down in software, so uniden or someone in side is going to have to 'leak' out goodies to do any sort of boosting.....and there aren't any European versions to be had just yet, if not at all. So ssb badass, but open am what's the point if you can't make the box a microwave? A good option tho if your setting up a group running ssb primarily and open a.m. doesn't mean as much.....

http://www.uniden.com/cb-radios/bearcat ... earcat980g

Otherwise galaxy 949 and 959 have always been great.

historically one of the top choices has been the uniden grant xl not to be confused with the lt, but they don't make the Xl's anymore.

Honestly if it's a decent make and offers ssb you can't go too wrong. One that you can open up and push out there even better, if that's something your willing to do anyways.....i never advise breaking the fcc guidelines.....
8am8am

CB vs. VHF

Postby KF5ZXT » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:47 am

Honestly, it seems like the HF/SSB rig prices are right in line with the VHF or UHF rigs; for example, this that is pretty popular (or the VHF one I mentioned earlier ). Only you are getting 50 watts (or 65 in the second example) of power vs. the FCC limit of 4 /"16" for HF/SSB (unless like you said, you are opening it up, which is illegal). I say "16" because it's really just an effective 16 watts because the SSB is more efficient by using only one side of the curve, which is then duplicated at the transceiver end to fill in the gaps.

My point being that the price points seem similar between the HF/SSB and VHF rigs, so the cost/barrier of entry argument would apply to either (which I understand), so why not go with the superior bands (VHF)? It seems the only extra barrier is the $15 test, which I've read can be easily passed 'after a weekend of studying.' Unless of course, I'm missing something.

Also, just curious, do the SSB units that you have looked at allow you to choose which side band you use (USB/LSB)? Or do they all just default to the standard use at those frequencies (USB)?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby 8am8am » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:17 am

Most of your better units you can choose Usb or lsb typically it's a 3 position slide switch. (Usb)(am)(lsb)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301008278593?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

price point is about the same if not cheaper on the hammy side. And it is the far superior choice, but it's exclusiveness is where it fails me. Like you stated above, you'll be looking at 2 radios, a vhf for the group, anyone you can get in on it, and those who have it. With ssb anyone who's in the group and has ssb we're a few steps above, or a simple switch flick and we're with everyone else....wasn't attempting to debate pricing....more the field of users....

Otherwise just bringing meat to the table.......

Otherwise if the group likes the idea of vhf and is willing to commit I'm in.....hell I'm retarded I'll figure out how to mount 8 radios....
8am8am

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:29 am

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

CB vs. VHF

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Just read through the Uniden Bearcat SSB manual, it does indeed have three position selectivity LSB/AM/USB. I'll probably lean towards that one, along with , if other people are interested in going the HF/SSB route, to mate up with the VHF/UHF Yaesu FT8800-R that I already have. Also, I'm going to go take the Technician level exam on January 14th.

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby 8am8am » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:34 am

Yea the participation factor kind of my point....hard to get ppl motivated beyond just buying a radio....but was why i figured I'd play. It's a subject that intrigues me in a million ways. I'm tuned in either way.....If you get the 980 lmk what you think of it on the open am side I'm weighting it out heavily, but that point has me the most leary.....any thought on mic yet?

that a shot inside yours?
8am8am

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:46 am

No, it's a shot of the interior of Rick's truck over on explorer forum.

The bearcat comes with a decent looking noise cancellation mic, so I'd probably just run that for a while.

I was planning to upgrade my mic on the uniden pro 540 that I am currently running, to one an Astatic D104M6B, which is a 4 wire. The bearcat uses a 6 pin mic (though it does come with a 4 pin adapter) which adds the noise cancellation.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby 8am8am » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:53 am

Ah Kay I think magic mikes given me a few stories about rick.

like I said tho you hit me up with a review from real world usage if you run with the bearcat. I mentioned it somewhere earlier, but imo the factory mic is a p.o.s. as is the case with most radios now, but this'en even a little more so? Not trying to hinder the purchase, just don't want you to be super disapointed in the mic.
8am8am

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:17 am

Nah, mics are easily replaceable.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby 8am8am » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Yessir, just putting it out there.....from now till the end of February PFJ has'em for 129.99 after a 50 dollar instant rebate.....and I've got a 40 dollar-ish alarm clock that i can exchange so for 90bux I'm a probably pop on one b4 too long....cuz at that price y not.
8am8am

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:01 am

Here is a PDF of the Technician class question pool, for your studying pleasure. :)

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:34 pm

I'm taking the Technician level exam this evening, so I should be licensed very soon. :D
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:04 pm

Good luck!
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:08 pm

Danke. I'm feeling well prepared, however. I scored a 100% on my last two test exams.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:54 pm

I got a 97% with approximately 8.5 hours of study. Who's next?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:51 am

KF5ZXT
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Call sign?
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Yessir. I'm official.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Congrats
TxPlates
Demon Chef

CB vs. VHF

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Danke. Your turn. :)
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:03 am

It appears that they have a Texas chapter.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

PreviousNext

Return to On-Topic