Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

General Discussion, generally referring to vehicles or wheeling.

Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri May 17, 2013 7:56 pm

To each their own. I think a manual shifter looks better than an electric button. Form follows function, after all.

Also, I've got fairly thick legs, and I've never noticed the shifters as being in the way, and I've got two, as opposed to the normal one.

Also, if your truck was never four wheel drive, a conversion using a manual shift transfer case has the added bonus of not needing a bunch of wiring and switch plates.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk 2
KF5ZXT
Blue Ribbon Coalition Lifetime Member

Sexy Evil ST wrote:Ok, I've got a new nickname for Randall... Ranger Dick!


Good, fast, cheap: pick any 2
User avatar
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog
 
Posts: 8358
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 9:21 am
Location: Mo. City

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby TxPlates » Fri May 17, 2013 8:50 pm

The last part, yes I lack original thought with. Luckily I have the pretty shift on the fly bezel lol.
Sexy Evil ST wrote:Shouldn't you actually offroad a truck to belong to those organizations? :finger :finger :finger
User avatar
TxPlates
Demon Chef
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:55 pm
Location: Marble Falls, TX

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby TexasArmadillo » Fri May 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Truth be told I always like the look of a floor shift. However I will keep my electrical setup. I just need to figure out how to lift it.

Juggling more fur balls than a constipated cat.
User avatar
TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Fri May 17, 2013 10:25 pm

So as tires go I have always been a fan of the Bfg all terrains I tend to get 60k out of a set. Also the tt and shackles can be done before the 4x4 conversion. Your 3.73 will be a good gear for 31s bigger then that you should go 4.10

Also the front axle is simple it's as just a simple bolt in place and change the knuckles rotors and bearings. The rest is easy to by changing the transmission with a 4x4 one and adding the correct t case and front and rear driveshafts
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr
99 Mountaineer
Randall's truck spends more time in the Garage than the Trails... :)
User avatar
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified
 
Posts: 2422
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:10 am
Location: Austin, tx

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sat May 18, 2013 10:12 am

here you go guys for the transmission and Transfercase this explorer could be picked up in the $400-$500 price range plus the cost of a broker.

You would get your drive shafts, transmission, and transfercase.

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDe ... ecent=True


And its at the Houston location
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr
99 Mountaineer
Randall's truck spends more time in the Garage than the Trails... :)
User avatar
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified
 
Posts: 2422
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:10 am
Location: Austin, tx

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby mr. everyman » Sat May 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Thick, Solid, Tight
About as close to unreality, as never being, ever was.
User avatar
mr. everyman
Cowboy Crust Buster & Rule Bender
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:13 pm
Location: The City of Syrup

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby mr. everyman » Sat May 18, 2013 2:32 pm

How do I proceed?
About as close to unreality, as never being, ever was.
User avatar
mr. everyman
Cowboy Crust Buster & Rule Bender
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:13 pm
Location: The City of Syrup

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby KF5ZXT » Sat May 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Wait, that link took me to a 1993 explorer.


Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk 2
KF5ZXT
Blue Ribbon Coalition Lifetime Member

Sexy Evil ST wrote:Ok, I've got a new nickname for Randall... Ranger Dick!


Good, fast, cheap: pick any 2
User avatar
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog
 
Posts: 8358
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 9:21 am
Location: Mo. City

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby TxPlates » Sat May 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Kris can point you in the direction of someone to actually buy it for you. You would just tell them what the max amount you're willing to spend, then they get a set price from you to do it and they'll bid for you.
Sexy Evil ST wrote:Shouldn't you actually offroad a truck to belong to those organizations? :finger :finger :finger
User avatar
TxPlates
Demon Chef
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:55 pm
Location: Marble Falls, TX

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sun May 19, 2013 7:50 am

Ok so the one I have used is http://www.usaautomarket.com

You give them a deposit on a CC of $1000.00 released after vehicle is paid for.

they bid on the vehicle to your max amount. example $500.00

Once you pay for the vehicle and pick it up there will be a few fees you need to figure for like the internet fee and pull out fees, ect. so if you bid $500 you might
pay $590.28 the broker will tell you how much to bring on the cashiers check.

You have three business days to pick up the vehicle with out storage fees added on.

Once all this is done the broker refunds the $1000.00 deposit and you pay them $150.00

simple as that.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr
99 Mountaineer
Randall's truck spends more time in the Garage than the Trails... :)
User avatar
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified
 
Posts: 2422
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:10 am
Location: Austin, tx

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby mr. everyman » Sun May 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Kris Guilbeaux wrote:Ok so the one I have used is http://www.usaautomarket.com

You give them a deposit on a CC of $1000.00 released after vehicle is paid for.

they bid on the vehicle to your max amount. example $500.00

Once you pay for the vehicle and pick it up there will be a few fees you need to figure for like the internet fee and pull out fees, ect. so if you bid $500 you might
pay $590.28 the broker will tell you how much to bring on the cashiers check.

You have three business days to pick up the vehicle with out storage fees added on.

Once all this is done the broker refunds the $1000.00 deposit and you pay them $150.00

simple as that.
man thanks for the breakdown on that and the link dude!
About as close to unreality, as never being, ever was.
User avatar
mr. everyman
Cowboy Crust Buster & Rule Bender
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:13 pm
Location: The City of Syrup

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby mr. everyman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:15 am

KF5ZXT wrote:Ok, you've currently got 3.73 gears, open differential, and an M5OD-R4 Transmission. Basically, whever donor vehicle you get the 4x4 trans from needs to be a J from 2002-2003, and the Axle code needs to be a 46 (3.73 open) or D4 (3.73 Limited Slip) axle, unless you plan to re-gear. Also you will need driveshafts from a 4x4 Sport, and of course a transfer case (preferably manual shift).


Bumping this from the grave. Having real trouble finding explorer sports with both manual and 4x4, so I've been looking at a lot of rangers that seem to share the same tranny.

I have 2 quick questions:

Question 1. When you said, in reference to the axle designations, "unless you plan to re-gear...," and I do, did you mean that I could use another axle, such as the R7 that comes with the 02 Ranger, as long as I re-gear it? Further, since the R7 axles have the gear ratio that I'd be looking for anyway (the 4.10 to go with the 33's) would I be able to use those axles and bypass the need to re-gear them? I think if I used one of the ranger axles though, I'd have to use both because they are limited slip, rather than open like the 46, though both the R7, and 46 are 8.8".

Question 2. If I use the R7 axles from the Ranger (4.10), then can't I use my existing drive shaft from my sport in the rear, or will it not hook up right to the ranger rear axle (the R7)? Don't I really only need the front drive shaft, and if I am using the ranger axle in the front, then I should be able to use the ranger drive-shaft in the front as well, no? I suppose it would be just as easy to use the ranger rear drive-shaft and cut it to length as needed, yeah?

If that is all possible, it makes using a ranger instead of an explorer sport to do the conversion, much more appealing since it comes with the gears I want in the axles already, and the 4x4 manual Ranger seems to be much more common than the 4x4 manual sport.
About as close to unreality, as never being, ever was.
User avatar
mr. everyman
Cowboy Crust Buster & Rule Bender
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:13 pm
Location: The City of Syrup

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:45 pm

You'll want to get the driveshafts from a 4x4 manual sport if possible, as the lengths of the driveshafts will be different because the transfer case pushes the rear mounting location further toward the rear of the truck. You can also just have your current shaft shorted cheaply enough. Ranger driveshaft from the front should be the same length that you would need. I think the explorer rear axle is 31 spline vs the ranger's 28 spline at least it was that way on earlier models), so the explorer axle is stronger. You might look for a rear axle from an explorer with the 3.10 gears (I think all 5.0's had the 4.10's, maybe).
KF5ZXT
Blue Ribbon Coalition Lifetime Member

Sexy Evil ST wrote:Ok, I've got a new nickname for Randall... Ranger Dick!


Good, fast, cheap: pick any 2
User avatar
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog
 
Posts: 8358
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 9:21 am
Location: Mo. City

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby mr. everyman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:03 pm

KF5ZXT wrote:You'll want to get the driveshafts from a 4x4 manual sport if possible, as the lengths of the driveshafts will be different because the transfer case pushes the rear mounting location further toward the rear of the truck. You can also just have your current shaft shorted cheaply enough. Ranger driveshaft from the front should be the same length that you would need. I think the explorer rear axle is 31 spline vs the ranger's 28 spline at least it was that way on earlier models), so the explorer axle is stronger.
Cool I'll have to look into that.

KF5ZXT wrote:You might look for a rear axle from an explorer with the 3.10 gears (I think all 5.0's had the 4.10's, maybe).
Wait, did you mean 4.10 where you said 3.10?
About as close to unreality, as never being, ever was.
User avatar
mr. everyman
Cowboy Crust Buster & Rule Bender
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:13 pm
Location: The City of Syrup

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:27 pm

yes, yes I did. lol
KF5ZXT
Blue Ribbon Coalition Lifetime Member

Sexy Evil ST wrote:Ok, I've got a new nickname for Randall... Ranger Dick!


Good, fast, cheap: pick any 2
User avatar
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog
 
Posts: 8358
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 9:21 am
Location: Mo. City

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby mr. everyman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:31 pm

KF5ZXT wrote:yes, yes I did. lol
:pimp


ah just finished flushing and changing my oil. I was going to drop the pan and clean it out but it stated raining. Guess I'll do that next time. At least I don't have to worry about it again for 5k :P

oh, btw, should this thread actually be over in Demon rides? My bad I put it in the wrong forum.... uh 3 years ago haha
About as close to unreality, as never being, ever was.
User avatar
mr. everyman
Cowboy Crust Buster & Rule Bender
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:13 pm
Location: The City of Syrup

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:34 pm

So to answer some of the questions...

Yes a ranger with a SOHC and manual trans will work fine for your swap. The rear axle would not swap over from the ranger to your explorer nor would the rear drive shaft. Not to worry. The Explorer 4x4 came available in 4.10 Axle code D2 and 42 (D2 4.10 limited slip) and (42 4.10 open). These are only found in 99-03 with the v-6 SOHC. Sorry Randall v-8 was 3.73 only.

The rear drive shaft is stupid simple to find as well any 91-04 sport with 4x4 rear shaft will work.

The electronics of the 03 ranger will work in your sport, since the Ranger and sport both have a stand alone 4x4 shift module.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr
99 Mountaineer
Randall's truck spends more time in the Garage than the Trails... :)
User avatar
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified
 
Posts: 2422
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:10 am
Location: Austin, tx

Re: Cheap Lift for my Sport, and 4x4 conversion?

Postby mr. everyman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Kris Guilbeaux wrote:So to answer some of the questions...

Yes a ranger with a SOHC and manual trans will work fine for your swap. The rear axle would not swap over from the ranger to your explorer nor would the rear drive shaft. Not to worry. The Explorer 4x4 came available in 4.10 Axle code D2 and 42 (D2 4.10 limited slip) and (42 4.10 open). These are only found in 99-03 with the v-6 SOHC. Sorry Randall v-8 was 3.73 only.

The rear drive shaft is stupid simple to find as well any 91-04 sport with 4x4 rear shaft will work.

The electronics of the 03 ranger will work in your sport, since the Ranger and sport both have a stand alone 4x4 shift module.
Can I take that to mean that the ranger front axle and drive shaft will work? So if I got a junked ranger for the swap all I would need is the rear axle (a D2 to match the ranger limited slip in the front) and drive shaft from a sport? Thanks so much once again Kris!
About as close to unreality, as never being, ever was.
User avatar
mr. everyman
Cowboy Crust Buster & Rule Bender
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:13 pm
Location: The City of Syrup

Previous

Return to On-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron