[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - Off-Road: 101

Off-Road: 101

General Discussion, generally referring to vehicles or wheeling.

Re: Off-Road: 101

Postby Gmanpaint » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks for the info! I know both companies. I will be using the Artec truss on the 8.8. BF has great products as well. I forgot the Ruff Stuff trac kit comes with a axle mount. Derp!! I was thinking of the placement, and the use of it on my application and got side tracked writing my own post. LOL!
Gmanpaint

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:48 pm

What are you doing to the front to either add those three inches back onto a standard width axle, or removing from a full width axle, to match the 3" widened rear?
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Gmanpaint » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:01 pm

Cutting down the full width D-44. It is a 77 HP with weld on wedges. I can live with the rear a little wider than the front. I had thought about cutting the front to match, but the custom axles will kill me. I will just use the EB axles from James Duff.
Gmanpaint

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:16 pm

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby MrQ » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:29 pm

To add to Randall's earlier post about lockers...

The lunchbox lockers are actually very durable units and its more often that the axles will snap before the locker. Another thing is be careful about what locker you put in your front diff. If you do not have selectable lockouts, an automatic or lunchbox locker is not a good idea as when you are turning there is more force but on the inner tire than on the rear and if locked will make it very hard to turn.

Lockers are not always necessary to off road. Generally if your vehicle is more 2wd than 4wd you will be fine with what you have. These units are traction adders, but won't necessarily increase your off road capability without a lift or a decent set of tires. They are also a pretty hefty investment.

Be also aware of what you are locking together. If you are running a Dana 30 in the front and put a locker in it and 35's on it, the chance of breakage skyrockets, but if run without the locker and the same size tires, breakage is greatly reduced. For example, I am running a CV shaft front axle Dana 35 with 33's. If I put any type of locker in there, the amount of force it would require to turn those tires locked together would grenade my half shafts, however the same situation on my rear 8.8 axle wouldn't even stress it as it is designed to hold more power.
-Dan

1998 Ford Explorer 4WD "Red Flyer II"
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD "Tanner"
MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:23 am

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby MrQ » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:15 am

-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:39 am

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby MrQ » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Tomato, tomahto. :p
-Dan

MrQ
Guilbeaux Fan Club
Modified
CORE Member
CORE Member

Postby TxPlates » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:09 pm

TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby TexasArmadillo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Thoughts on wheel spacers?

Juggling more fur balls than a constipated cat.
TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:56 am

Wheel spacers are round objects with holes that are used inbetween your wheels and your wheel mounting surface (Usually a disc brake or drum) to widen your track width. They are typically 1/8" to 3/8" thick. I have seen them used on only one side to adjust for an improperly centered axle.

Wheel adapters are often referred to as wheel spacers as well, but have the benefit of being able to space your wheels out even further than a wheel spacer, typically from 1" to 3" per side. They are also able to adapt your bolt pattern to a diiferent one, useful for matching up different axles. The farther you space out your wheels, the more added stress to put on the wheel bearings.

Opinions vary on wheel adapters. Some people swear by them. They serve their purpose, but in my opinion, the added wheel bearing stress and the fact that you can't put your eyes on the inner set of lug nuts make them a less than ideal solution, and a temporary band-aid at best. Add to that the fact that wheel adapters and their lugs are typically constructed of soft aluminum to keep the weight down, which means that they will quickly become marred through regular use. I am not a fan of them at all.

Again, in my opinion, wheel adapters do not belong on any serious off-road vehicle.

One of the first things I did to my explorer when I got it was put 1.5" thick, 5 on 4.5" wheel adapters front and rear to allow me to run 17" Cobra R wheels (which have a much deeper backspacing than the stock explorer wheels). I broke several of the aluminum studs simply by tightening down the lug nuts. I also lost a wheel on at least two different occassions due to the inner set of lug nuts loosening. I was 16 then, so probably they weren't torqued correctly, but the danger was still there.

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TexasArmadillo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Good to hear. I am wary of them as well. However, the 4th generation guys are using them after lifting their Explorers. It off sets the camber.

Juggling more fur balls than a constipated cat.
TexasArmadillo
Legion Member
Legion Member

Previous

Return to On-Topic