[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 400: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - ABS on a Solid axle Thoughts?

ABS on a Solid axle Thoughts?

General Discussion, generally referring to vehicles or wheeling.

ABS on a Solid axle Thoughts?

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:18 am

With a few of us Ford guys having 4 wheel ABS and wanting to pass safety inspection along with having ABS working. I would like to find a way to add ABS to a dana 44 Solid axle..

Any thoughts?
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr
99 Mountaineer
Randall's truck spends more time in the Garage than the Trails... :)
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Re: ABS on a Solid axle Thoughts?

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Why wouldn't you pass safety inspection without ABS? Mine did, and I don't see it on the list for my county. Is it required in yours?
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:41 pm

I know that there is a hub kit for the GM 6 lug bolt pattern out there with an integrated ABS tone ring, but I'm guessing you want to keep Ford 5 lug.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:55 pm

I know absolutely nothing about this subject. I do know like Randall mentioned that different counties require different rules for passing inspection. We were talking about it yesterday, and I recall now that Johnstone's Limited had the ABS light on all the time and it passed. May not be that big a deal I guess. I would however like to be able to put the bulb back in mine and have it work, so I'll keep watch on this thread.
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:17 pm

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Randall didn't you say the jk rubicon axles are D44? Couldn't kris use those since I would think they come with ABS?

Sent from Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
A 2WD stuck in a world of 4WD
"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Yes, but they have a smaller lug bolt pattern I believe. I think that they are 5 lug on 4.5." It's likely possible to change that by redrilling the rotor or perhaps using a combination of different bearings/rotors/hubs to get the desired lug arrangement. Also, Kris already has a Dana 44 axle, I think I remember being from a Bronco. He'll have to tell you the year and whether/how much he narrowed it (I seem to remember him doing so).
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:00 pm

A 2WD stuck in a world of 4WD
"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby TxPlates » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Nice info you posted Randall. My posed question, our trucks that no longer have ABS in the front are still just as safe as before no? We still have it in the rear, so the rear won't be locking up and causing fish tailing etc. So is the whole point just to avoid the light being on? Or if the front is disconnected, does that also cause the rear to be inoperable?
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:08 pm

My truck only came with rear ABS (which has since been disabled). From what I have read, if yours is equipped with F&R ABS, and one is disconnected, it will cease to function (i.e. not have rear ABS either). Most people think that ABS is actually dangerous if it activates off-road, so there is little understanding of why you would want to add it in, unless your truck just won't function without it (like apparently Tim's Xterra).

1993-1996 Ford Bronco's had front ABS on the Dana 44 TTB. I believe that you could use these spindles/hubs/brakes on the Ford Dana 44 solid knuckle. I think they both use the same off-set 5 bolt spindle pattern. only question is whether the axle shaft length would be different, in which case it might be possible to use the 93-96 Dana 44 TTB outer axle shaft as well. That might be the simplest solution.

Whether or not the tone ring pattern would be compatible or whether you'd need to introduce an interpreter to convert it to the right signal. I'd imagine that you'd need to drill and tap a hole for the sensor that lines up with the tone ring, which is pressed into the backside of the hub.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:29 pm

Well when a vehicle that I do plan to drive on the road and off road I would like this safety option just like it was intended
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:36 pm

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:49 pm

Ok, obviously you are fighting me on the reasoning... I do get that..

I still want ABS working on my Rig. I am looking for a solution to add ABS to a dana 44 from a 79 Bronco axle and looking for the options.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Also the Explorers 4wd sends a signal to the ABS to disable the ABS when in 4wd but when you are in 2wd it works as normal.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:54 pm

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:04 pm

I saw the dynatrac kit I would like to find a knuckle that has a provisions for the abs sensor already that will install on a 79 Ford Axle. But that might not be possible
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Did you see the part about the 93-96 Bronco?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 am

- talks about adding ABS to a 44, also might be of interest to Tim.

This is a Dana 44 TTB spindle with ABS - it has the 5 bolt Ford spindle pattern. Can you confirm that your Dana 44 has the same pattern?

The ABS spindle will have these notches in it to allow for the ABS sensor location. The ABS ring is then on the back side of the TTB rotor.

I've also read that the TTB brake rotors, hubs and bearings are interchangeable, so you should be able to just run Dana 44 TTB outers (spindle out, not the knuckle). Still not sure about the caliper mount in that instance, but that part can be fabbed up easily enough.

I'd probably just start by pulling the outers off of an ABS equipped Dana 44 TTB in the junkyard, and playing around to see what can fit. I'm guessing the mounting for the abs sensor would be the hard part.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Return to On-Topic