[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - Transmission rebuilds

Transmission rebuilds

General Discussion, generally referring to vehicles or wheeling.

Transmission rebuilds

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:27 am

Transmissions usually scare people pretty bad with what is entailed.

Right now Russell and I have found a transmission tech at the dealer that will rebuild our auto transmissions at very reasonable price.

Prices vary based on parts that are needed. But looks like rebuilds can be done in the $400- $600 price range easily. Maybe even less if no hard parts are needed.

Right now he is following the frankentranny thread on Ef building a a4ld/5r55e hybrid transmission for my 91 Eddie Bauer.

He even said it could be done early as Friday!!!!

I brought him two full transmissions the a4ld out out stripe 93 limited and a junk yard 5r55e with 89k out of a 2000 xlt ohv 4x4.

I will also bring him my transmission from jpx next. Just to have it done since it had 200k on the odometer. Might as well have a fresh transmission in my first gen 5.0 swap. Mainly cause once I have the motor/trans in I don't want to pull them back out.

I'm sure if any of you have transmissions you need work done on this would be the way to go for sure.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr
99 Mountaineer
Randall's truck spends more time in the Garage than the Trails... :)
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Re: Transmission rebuilds

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:53 am

Good find. Not many people are willing to step out of the box like that in creating something like the hybrid you are talking about, especially based off an internet thread. Should I assume that this applies to Ford only? I may have to get him to swap my freshly rebuilt/updated Super Duty trans stuff swapped over to a 4x4 case when I do the 4x4 conversion.

Having not read the Frankentranny thread, I'm not really up to speed on what that means (other than A4LD/5R55E hybrid). I think I'll go look for that now. Be back later with a link.
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:47 am

Well the frankentranny is basically an a4ld with a 5r bell housing/pump, with 5r internals and bearings, the a4ld middle case, and a4ld valve body.

What this does is give you a better pump and pump seal, also upgrades the clutch packs and drums, and you get Torrington bearings.

This basically makes the a4ld as strong as possible with as many upgrades as you can make inside the a4 case. The pump seal is a major upgrade over the seal that a4 came with as you know well Randall.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:51 am

So with the parts of the A4LD that are kept, looks like middle case and valve body, are those parts kept because they are better than the 5R55E equivalents, or because the 5R55E components don't fit in the A4LD case, no difference quality-wise, or something else?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:00 am

No quality difference and this keeps the electronic and vacuum control from the a4ld so that you can continue use this transmission in a 91-94 explorer and work like it was intended.

Other wise you have to run two pcms and make a transmission controller like what Russell did on blue.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:31 am

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:42 pm

A4ld case clean

92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Beam me up, Scotty!

:beam
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Just wanted to say that the frankentranny is complete. Now the testing of the trans won't happen for a while still since Goldie is down in Victoria getting body work done. But even with buying a 5r55e transmission the total cost of the build was about $600 this included the new torque converter.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:39 am

Not bad at all. Did the tranny guy have and comments or feedback after following the EF thread compared to his experience with the amalgam?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:00 am

He said he sees how this would beef up the transmission but how it works won't change. He also said you would get a little more life out of the transmission is about it. I'm just stoked about the front pump seal not blowing out mostly and the better pump as well.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:45 am

Here is the frankentranny
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:45 am

Yeah, that front pump seal is pretty much the bane of my existence.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:10 am

Well this one has the upgraded seal and pump.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:28 pm

I may have missed your response, but is this tranny person Ford only, or does he do other brands, like Turbo Hydromatic?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm sure he would have no issue rebuilding one
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Return to On-Topic