[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - Kris's Future tow rig

Kris's Future tow rig

General Discussion, generally referring to vehicles or wheeling.

Kris's Future tow rig

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am

So,

I been doing a lot of research on Tow rigs and I plan to Special order a brand new vehicle in the next year and a half. Every one says " get a Diesel " I rented a 2014 Super duty about a month a go. To tow an Explorer to Oklahoma and back. This one was equip with the 6.2 Gas hurricane motor. With Towing the Explorer we were getting 15 mpg seams that this is pretty close to where I would be with a diesel version... Am I wrong on this? Im just wanting to know if I would recoup my $8,000 upgrade on a diesel?

Here is what I am looking to get. FYI

92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr
99 Mountaineer
Randall's truck spends more time in the Garage than the Trails... :)
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Re: Kris's Future tow rig

Postby 8am8am » Sat May 24, 2014 4:07 pm

Ignoring the battle of the big 3, isuzu, cummins, and power stroke for 2 reasons; 1 I doubt I could sway you, 2 even tho cummins is responsible for the new 6.7 power stroke my knowledge on it is still far less then I'd like b4 getting into specifics....

so we'll keep this broad spectrum gas vs diesel......

If this was 8 years ago, or we we're talking an 8 year old truck I too would flat out tell u get the diesel, just being weary of certain power strokes of that era.......currently tho, and with a new truck more thought should be enlisted.

First how much towing are you talking? How many miles, how much load? If your just talking a explorer on a trailer once a month or so get a gasser. Diesel has been higher then premium gasoline many a time, heck even right now i sit at a station were regular diesel is more then premium gas.....u don't even wanna know what premium deisel is. More typically then this place diesel and regular gas are 10-20 cents apart, even with slight variances in mpg making back 8gs is gonna take awhile. Diesel is no longer a by product of refining gasoline, and kerosene....they're having to refine specifically for diesels now. The price points are unlikely to change any time soon.

Second since 2007 emissions regulations on diesels have put a choke hold on manufacturers. Diesel particulate filtration, diesel regeneration systems, and most recently diesel exhaust fluid. Some of these cost you more on a regular basis such as Def where you have yet another tank to fill up. Otherwise all 3 can be very expensive to maintain/repair should something comeup.... but you will hopefully be warrantied on most of it.....It's still a concern tho....Worse yet tho none of these systems are idealistic and while they do help emissions they're slowly killing the engine...Cummins has a new industrial generator engine that beats all the regs with out that junk, but it'll be awhile b4 the technology trickles down to highway use and across to other manufacturers, but still some of these systems are set in place by reg.....and we'll still be stuck with them. Regular maintenance costs are on the rise aswell, the amount of routine maintenance is increasing...along with the cost of materials to properly maintain the systems.

from 2007, and more especially 2013; to 2020 maybe 2025 I fore see as a time frame that'll be very bad for highway diesels other then the small commuters. Same as how the gubmint jumped on e85/ethanol etc....like a bi*** in heat they've now froze the maximum mixture as they've come to learn there is just as much bad, if not more, then there is good. Diesel and diesel engines are going to be f'd with and f'ed up until they see first hand the bad they're doing aswell.

So personally i wouldn't be getting a new diesel for 'recreational' towing not from any of the big 3. I would get the big gasser engine and be happy. Just the cost of fuel makes it a wiser choice imo....Otherwise I'd hunt down a pre emissions diesel of my preference the best yr model with fewest issues and keep that as a weekend tow-er. For cummins that'd be an 02-03 last yr of the 24valve, an 07 (i believe) newest common rail 5.9 b4 the 6.7.....power stroke I think 05? 05 was either a really good year or a really bad year for ford....I'm drawing a blank......

jmho
8am8am

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sat May 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Thank you for your input. Keep in mind my towing will only be an explorer in a trailer and the rest will be commute driving some times less then 15 miles a day
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Postby 8am8am » Sun May 25, 2014 1:01 am

In a trailer, like a bigger heavier car hauler? Or on a trailer like a 16-18ft flat bed? If it's the latter I'd still vote gasser, a bulkier car hauler then the deisel....do you plan on adding to your collection of haulables anytime soon? Bigger trailer, big 5th wheel, a slide in camper, and dragging the explorer?

I mean it sounds mostly a commuter with once a month towing.....

i hate mpg numbers, but I'm going to make an exception here....2015 models gas and diesels are both going under changes and improvements so we can't count their numbers yet....but we can expect them both to gain about the same....

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-250%20 ... 0duty/2013

2013 is the most recent year with a larger pool of vehicles to help judge...These are real world numbers from real world ppl doing real world things... Eliminating the most extremes and looking at the medium, the diesels have a slight edge in mpg over the gassers......nothing stellar in my opinion. Now to get the power stroke you have an extra 8gs initial investment, diesel fuel has been 10-30 cents more(moreorless) then regular unleaded, use 15 cents more as the curb, and i don't think the 2015 will be out from under the thumb of def....there's to many factors on the cost/dosing rate of def so let's just say another 50$ a month.

So I mean study numbers but to me unless diesel fuel prices drop dramatically, fuel costs alone are going to take long awhile to earn back the investment.

What about longevity? If well maintained gassers can run their odometers up just aswell as diesels....just a little more and proper maintenance, but nothing you shouldn't be used too.....meanwhile these arn't the diesel engines of yore where nothing could kill them. They're alot more finicky with common rail, higher pressure fuel systems, and the injectors....The old 12&24 valve cummins could run with gallons of water in the fuel, add a treatment additive and likely be fine...The common rail 5.9 and worse yet higher pressure 6.7 cummins....ur likely looking at injector or injector pump issues no matter the additives you try and save it with....The ford deisels are the same technological progression I've just seen all of it first hand with the cummins.....

If your going to USE it then get the diesel, it's definitely the superior, but if your not utilizing every benefit it brings is it worth it? Especially in a brand new model, and with all the nonsensical hold backs emissions is adding to the mix? Not imo....I'd get the gasser and be happy with the cheaper fuel bill....i don't need the 700+ft lbs of torque everywhere I go every day...or option 2 get a pre emissions diesel of the right genre and time to be the best pick, and a 1986 50mpg Honda crx, now you've got a tow pig, and amazing commuter, and still save enough money to get another 10 explorers......

I can only hope I've made your head hurt...ha! On the bright side your starting early so you got plenty of time to keep researching. There's other sites like fuely for more realistic mpg numbers. Scan the Web for big ticket, and common maintenance issues ppl have had with both engines (until they're out and tested it's only a hope these problems have been corrected with new models).....ur not an idiot, and since we here You've obviously already started down the right track.......lmk ask whatever you want if i can I'll do my best to answer.....I've been around diesels my whole life and we'll b4 they were trendy
8am8am

Postby KF5ZXT » Sun May 25, 2014 9:00 am

Can't argue with any of the above. I know you're only really considering the Ford, and if you're going with a new one, with the amount of towing you'll be doing, it's probably not worth it for the diesel. That's why I targeted the 7.3 powerstroke when I got mine, though they are all 10+ years old now.
KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:26 am

Wait for the diesel titan :-)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
A 2WD stuck in a world of 4WD
"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby Kris Guilbeaux » Sun May 25, 2014 9:55 am

Yeah after all the research I been doing and videos online. I am leaning on the 6.2 V8 I dont think I would recoup my money on the diesel. Id rather spend the money on the 4x4 option. Plus this will keep me under the $50,000 price point even with my Extended warranty i plan to buy.

I really see this Truck never getting more then 10K miles a year.
92 Navajo
92 Explorer Jpx
99 Mountaineer
Kris Guilbeaux
Demon 4xHoe
CORE Member
CORE Member
Modified

Return to On-Topic